BEAFORD MILL AND ADJOINING LEAT RETAINING WALLS AND BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309124
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
BEAFORD MILL AND ADJOINING LEAT RETAINING WALLS AND BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEAFORD MILL AND ADJOINING LEAT RETAINING WALLS AND BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309124 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:38:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
BEAFORD MILL AND ADJOINING LEAT RETAINING WALLS AND BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Beaford
National Grid Reference:
SS 54308 14380

Details

BEAFORD SS 51 NW 11/4 Beaford Mill and adjoining leat - retaining walls and bridge

GV II

Mill. Dated 1867, enlarged later in the C19. Snecked squared stone with dressed quoins and voussoirs. Gable-ended Welsh-slate roof. Plan: Mill aligned approximately north-west/south-east. South-east block dated 1867, extended to north-east in the later C19. Formerly with undershot external waterwheel (waterwheel and its separate roof since removed) to south-west side of 1867 block. Leat retaining walls and small bridge also adjoining to south-west. Mill of 2 storeys and loft with additiion of one-storey and loft. Exterior: South-west (leat) side largely windowless, but has central first-floor 3- light window to centre (blocked window below) and first-floor doorway to its left. Right-hand gable end has small one-light attic window, first-floor C19 two-light wooden casement and ground-floor 2-light opening. Datestone below attic window. Left-hand gable end has 2-light wooden casement to loft and ground-floor pair of large boarded double doors with wooden lintel and segmental-pointed stone relieving arch. Rear of right-hand block has louvred attic window to left and first-floor boarded door with wooden frame, and approached by external brick steps. Boarded ground-floor boarded door below steps. Leat retaining walls adjoining to south-west. Squared and coursed stone walls. Small round-arched bridge over late with dressed voussoirs and cobbled decking. Interior of mill: Two pairs of boxed millstones in first floor of right-hand block, with old hoist for lifting stones. Various grain shutes and trap doors. Complete wooden sack hoist in attic (formerly powered by take off from main drive) with wooden pulley wheel and wooden drum with chain. Three-bay roof over 1867 end with bolted collar trusses and pairs of purlins. Four-bay roof over later C19 end, with collar trusses. Also old hoist in later end. The mill and adjoining leat walls form part of a mill complex also including Beaford Mill House (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SS5430814380

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91623
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05084/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].