HEANTON SATCHVILLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309303

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: HEANTON SATCHVILLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEANTON SATCHVILLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309303 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:23:07.

Location

Statutory Address: HEANTON SATCHVILLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Huish

National Grid Reference: SS 53532 11326

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUISH SS 51 SW 4/113 Heanton Satchville GV II

Country house, seat of Lord Clinton. Completed 1938 by Sir Walter Tapper. Rendered stone walls with rusticated quoins. Hipped slate roof. Stone ashlar stacks. A large house in the style of Pratt's Clarendon House, Piccadilly (1665) although not double-pile in plan. It is more like Groombridge Place, Kent, in plan and scale. Plan: the main house is H-shaped on plan with the hall in the centre and cross-wings to left and right. The left-hand cross-wing has the stairhall at the centre, the entrance at the front and the dining room at the rear. The right-hand cross-wing contains the library at the front and Chinese room (parlour) at the back. The service wing is attached to the left-hand side of the left cross-wing. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 bay entrance front the outer 2 bays formed by projecting hipped roof wings. 2:3:2 windows all 15 pane sashes apart from oculus windows on first floor to central bay and inner face of wings. Doorway on inner face of left-hand wing. Below the central first floor window is a heraldic shield with cartouches either side. Right-hand elevation is symmetrical with five 15 pane sashes and projecting lateral stack to left and right of centre. Between them is a semi-circular stone balustraded portico on 4 Doric columns with part-glazed doors behind. Rear garden elevation is similar 3 bay arrangement to front but with large central lateral stack with armorial shield and 2 narrow 10-pane sash windows to either side. Irregular service wing extends from left end of house recessed from front with original fenestration of square section stone mullion windows. Interior: complete with high quality late C17 style joinery including panelling, moulded chimneypieces and doorcases and panelled doors. The massive wooden open-well staircase has heavy turned balusters, square newels and a pulvinated closed string. The stairwell has a moulded plaster ceiling and the stair window has some reused stained glass, the 3 roundels with arms are said to have come from Little Marland, Petrockstowe. The main hall has a screen of 2 columns in front of the fireplace in the back wall. The Chinese Room has fine C18 Chinese painted wallpaper in 6 panels. Source: The Builder 1937, Vol. II, pp. 499-502.

Listing NGR: SS5353211326

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 90901

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in The Builder, , Vol. 2, (1937), 499-502

End of official listing