Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1309366

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 18:41:55.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: George Nympton

National Grid Reference: SS 70033 22967


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4 + 5/69 Church of St George



Parish church. C15, tower built 1673, restoration and partial rebuilding of 1882 by E.H. Harbottle. Stone rubble nave and aisle, snecked stone chancel and porch, Flemish bond brick tower; slate roof. Plan: Nave, chancel, 3-bay north arcade; west tower, south porch; north-east vestry. The tower was built by George Harris, it is not clear from the documentation what it replaced although late C16 bells existed (church guide). The 1882 restoration involved rebuilding the east and south walls of the chancel, replacing the nave and chancel roofs, rebuilding the porch, opening out the tower arch, tracery replacement and restoration of the nave bench ends. Harbottle's restoration was in the Perpendicular style to match the existing medieval fabric. Exterior: Chancel with diagonal buttresses, 1882 3-light Perpendicular traceried east window and 2-light south window. The nave (south side) has 2 Perpendicular 3-light traceried windows, much repaired, the western window with carved medieval label stops including one which appears to show a pair of wrestlers. The north aisle has a 3- light Perpendicular traceried east window and 2 square-headed, probably early C16 north windows with traceried lights. The C19 gabled vestry has a 2-light window with a segmental arched light on the west side and a segmental arched stone doorframe. The west tower is extremely interesting for its date: wholly Gothic in form with a stone plinth, diagonal buttresses with set-offs and battlements, all in hand-made bricks which were made in the parish by James Moore who was paid £22 5s 4d. Round- headed belfry openings have pierced boards in the heads below louvres; there is a rectangular opening on the south side at bellringer's stage and, instead of a west door, a cusped lancet:- this is probably a C19 remodelling of a plainer opening. 1882 snecked stone gabled porch with a trefoil-headed niche in the gable and a moulded, rounded outer doorframe. The interior of the porch has an arched brace roof and an unusual inner doorframe with a deeply-moulded triangular head, possibly C13 in date. The inner door is probably C16 with a massive lock box and a latch. Interior: Plastered walls. Asymmetrical C19 chancel arch at the junction of the nave and chancel roofs with a trumpeting angel painted on the arch which is carried on paired stone corbels. C19 ceiled wagons to the nave and chance, C15 or C16 ceiled wagon to the north aisle. 3 bay Beerstone arcade with steep moulded arches, piers with corner shafts and boldly-carved foliage caps; plain chamfered tower arch with a rounded head and runout stops. The chancel has early C20 dado panelling; C19 commandment boards in round-headed frames; C19 tiling incorporating the symbols of the evangelists and a C19 trefoil- headed piscina with a hood mould and finial. Pulpit, lectern, reading desk and chancel seats all memorials of 1880, the chancel seats with poppyheads the pulpit an open traceried timber drum on a stone plinth. The font is a probably C15 octangonal bowl, the stem decorated with blind tracery with an C18 ogival timber font cover. The nave benches are C19, carefully incorporating medieval fragments found during the 1882 restoration. Monuments 3 wall monuments to members of the Karslake family: 2 matching early C19 white marble monuments are signed Kendall; the third is a fine monument to William Karslake, died 1769 in coloured and white Italian marble with a weeping cherub leaning on a sarcophagus. There are other late C18 and early C19 monuments.

Church Guide (n.d.). Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SS7003322967


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 97599

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Church of St George George Nympton Church Guide

End of official listing