This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TWO CORNISH CROSSES AT SOUTH END OF GARDEN AND APPROXIMATELY 175 METRES SOUTH OF SCORRIER HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TWO CORNISH CROSSES AT SOUTH END OF GARDEN AND APPROXIMATELY 175 METRES SOUTH OF SCORRIER HOUSE

List entry Number: 1309605

Location

TWO CORNISH CROSSES AT SOUTH END OF GARDEN AND APPROXIMATELY 175 METRES SOUTH OF SCORRIER HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Day

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Sep-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66922

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST DAY SCORRIER SW 74 SW 6/356 Two Cornish crosses at south end of garden and approx. 175 Dec 1949 metres south of Scorrier House (formerly listed as "2 stone crosses Scorrier House") GV II* Two Cornish crosses. Medieval. Granite, both wheelhead type, with integral shafts. No.l: the smaller of the two (identified by Dexter and Dexter as Scorrier No.1), mounted in a modern rectangular base, is rectangular in section and approx. 1 1/2 metres high, with chamfered corners to the shaft, and a sunk oval panel in each face, with a raised figure of Christ on the south face and a raised Latin cross on the north face. No.2: the larger of the two (identified by Langdon as Scorrier No.2), is set on a mound approx. 5 metres to the north-east of the first, and is rectangular in section and approx. 3 metres high, with a small head which has sunk panels with a cross in each side. Thick shrubbery round the shaft prevented closer inspection, but the drawings by Langdon show complicated zig- zag and saw-tooth decoration on all sides of the shaft, and a ring round each cross. According to Langdon, this formerly stood in the parish of St Wendron, at the junction of the road to Stythian with the Helston-Penryn road, but was bought by the Williams family in 1849, and brought here. References: A.G.Langdon Old Cornish Crosses (1898); T.F.G.Dexter and Henry Dexter Cornish Crosses Christian and Pagan (1938).

Listing NGR: SW7254143578

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dexter, T F G, Dexter, H, Cornish Crosses Christian and Pagan, (1938)
Langdon, A G, Old Cornish Crosses, (1896)

National Grid Reference: SW7254143578

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 01:17:39.

End of official listing