Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1309850

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 00:56:30.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nunburnholme

National Grid Reference: SE 84774 47791


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 84 NW 10/20

NUNBURNHOLME, CHURCH LANE (east side), Church of Saint James



Church. C12 nave, early C13 chancel, restored 1873 by George Gilbert Scott (1839-97), west tower and south porch by Temple Moore c1902. Ashlar, plain tile roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel. West tower: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses, chamfered string-courses. 2-light square-headed belfry opening with tracery in Perpendicular style under hoodmould. Crenellated parapet. 2-light pointed west window with tracery in Curvilinear style under hoodmould. Nave: chamfered plinth. 2-light square-headed window with reticulated tracery to east. Late C19 pointed south door. C12 round-headed north door with hollow-chamfered imposts, narrow chamfer, and hoodmould with face-stops; small round-headed window to east with continuous roll-moulding and head carved with centipetal arrows. Chancel: chamfered plinth. Lancet under hoodmould to west over trefoil-headed low side window closed by wooden shutter. 2-light and 3-light window to centre and east respectively, each with reticulated tracery. Pointed priests' door with continuous chamfer, 3-light pointed east window with reticulated tracery under hoodmould with head-stops. Pierced quatrefoil panel to gable. Interior: C12 chancel arch reused as tower arch: attached shafts with scallop capitals, some with volutes, some with masks and trails, supporting quirk-and-chamfer imposts and round arch of two orders, the inner with a double roll moulding to the soffit, the outer with chevron ornament. Hoodmould with naked human figure and masks. Under the tower a cross-shaft of c1000 AD consisting of two fragments fitted together: four sides with two panels to each side carved with a variety of figures both in profile and frontally presented, together with a number of foliage designs, pelta-like shapes, and beasts. C12 font, probably re-tooled, in shape of cushion capital. Chancel: tomb recess under chamfered segmental arch, and nearby ambrey, to north wall; trefoil-headed piscina to south wall. The lower half of a set of sedilia, truncated by an early C14 window, also survives in the south wall. It is speculated that the church was built as the priory church of the Benedictine nunnery of St Mary, the Scheduled Site of Nunburnholme Priory being some 800m to the north east of the church.

Listing NGR: SE8477447790


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 166988

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing