- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309875.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2021 at 09:09:03.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Tudy
- National Grid Reference:
SX 07 NE
Large house. Built in 1698 for Samuel Furness and rebuilt in 1849 for J P Magor (datestone). Local stone rubble with ashlar granite dressings. Slate roofs with gable ends. Stone rubble and ashlar granite axial and end stacks with diagonal set brick shafts in groups of threes. Plan: The house appears to date almost entirely from the 1849 rebuild, possibly reusing some dressed granite. Complicated double depth plan with entrance in east front, through 2-storey porch into wide entrance hall. Large drawing room on left of hall, lit by large bay window overlooking the gardens to the sough and labrary to right of hall, now the dining room. To rear of the hall is the main open well stair, lit by a mullion and transom stair window on the rear elevation with a room to left, possibly originally the dining room and back stair to right. Small 2-storey projection to rear of stair, in form of 2-storey porch on rear elevation, but without entrance on ground floor, now used to house the lavatories. The service wing continues along the north (right hand) side of the house, set back from the front elevation and projecting in a rear wing on the west. Picturesque Elizabethan style. Exterior: East front elevation of 2-storeys with an asymmetrical 6-window arrangement. Entrance through gabled 2-storey porch to left of centre with entrance hall lit by 2-light mullion window to right, the drawing room to left slightly advanced and with a higher roof and the library to right. Set back to right is the gable end of the service wing. The porch has a 4-centred arched opening with Magor coat of arms above. 2 light mullion window to left and 8-light mullion and transom window to far left, lighting the drawing room. 1-light window and 3-light mullion windows to right. Above five 2 and 3-light mullion windows with 3-light mullion window in gable end of 2-storey porch with datestone above. Set back to right is the projecting end stack of the service range, the shaft removed and a C20 door inserted. North elevation of 2-storeys and attic with an asymmetrical 5 window front. Near centre, the 2)-storey porch-like projection has a battlemented parapet and is flanked by the window to the back stair on left and the mullion and transom window of the main stair on right. To far left is the gable end of the 2-storey and attic service range and to right the 2-storey wing which possibly has the dining room on the groun floor which is lit by a mullion and transom window in a projecting bay with a battlemented parapet. Datestone 'SF 1698' commemorating earlier building. Interior: Carpentry and joinery complete with original chimney-pieces and plasterwork. The wide entrance hall has a geometrical patterned rib ceiling and is heated by a freestone Gothic chimney-piece. Mouded cornice with floral motifs to drawing room and dining room to rear. Library chimney-piece of hard wood carved with cherubs and grapes. Open well stair with barley sugar twist balusters and moulded rail with ribbed coved ceiling above. Coved ceilings to first floor rooms. Doorframe complete, several with chamfered and stopped 4-centred arches. Linen-fold panelled doors.
Listing NGR: SX0555477329
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing