CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309988
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, GLEBE ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETER'S AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 07:51:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, GLEBE ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETER'S AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 30544 08614

Details

TA 3008 NE CLEETHORPES ST PETER'S AVENUE (west side) 8/24 Church of St Peter 17/9/80

GV II

Parish church. 1864 by James Fowler of Louth. C20 addition to west end. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with Ancaster limestone dressings; painted brick interior with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Aligned north-east - south-west. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch, single-bay chancel with single-bay organ chamber/chapel adjoining to south, tower and vestry adjoining to north. Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays, sill string-course throughout. Nave: aisles have segmental-pointed 3-light windows to north and south; foiled round windows to clerestory. West end has buttresses flanking central section with pointed 3-light traceried window with quatrefoiled oculus above, pointed 2-light window to north aisle. Porch: pointed moulded outer arch with hoodmould and foliate stops, pointed chamfered inner arch with hoodmould and plain stops, scissor-braced open rafter roof. Chancel: pointed 2-light south window, pointed 3-light east window with foiled roundel above; 1914-18 war memorial plaque inserted in east wall recording church bells and churchyard cross. Organ chamber/chapel: pointed 2-light south window with blind slit in gable above. 3-stage tower has chamfered and moulded plinth, string-courses between stages, full-height diagonal buttresses, and staircase projection in north-east angle. First stage has chamfered shouldered-arched north door, pointed 2-light east window. Second stage has plain slit light with pointed relieving arch. Top stage has pointed single-light belfry openings, clockface to east, moulded string-course, angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet. Single-storey vestry in north-east angle has 3-light trefoiled east window, plain coped parapet. All windows with Gothic Revival tracery, hoodmoulds and stops, those to tower carved. Coped gables with shaped kneelers, carved open work finials, crested ridge tiles throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed brick arches of 2 orders, with plain inner orders of banded ashlar and brick, outer orders with moulded brick nailhead arrises, and ashlar hoodmoulds with carved foliate stops. Cylindrical ashlar piers and plain quoined responds with ornate carved foliate capitals and moulded bases on tall plinths. Tall pointed chancel arch with similar brick and ashlar details, on responds with paired shafts with foliate capitals and mid shaft-rings. Segmental-pointed hollow-chamfered west door. North aisle has pointed east arch with nailhead moulding and hoodmould. South aisle has pointed ashlar arch to chapel. Chancel has segmental-pointed double hollow-chamfered arch to organ chamber, a tripartite recess to the north of pointed arches with nailhead moulding and hoodmoulds, on paired shafts with foliate capitals; adjoining vestry door to right with similar blind arch over. Chancel windows and nave west window have chamfered reveals, nailhead moulding and hoodmoulds; quoined surrounds to other windows. Dentilled brick cornice throughout. Nave and chancel roofs have scissor braces, corbelled wall posts and arch braces to main trusses. Carved ashlar reredos, octagonal font with ornate carved panels, C19 pews. Became a parish church in 1889. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 217; C Ekberg, The Book of Cleethorpes, 1986, p 44;The Story of Old Clee Church and St Peter's Church, Cleethorpes, 1949, pp 32-34.

Listing NGR: TA3054408614

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164466
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ekberg, C, The Book of Cleethorpes, (1986), 44
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 217
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34926

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10222/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].