CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1310214
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310214.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:41:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Treneglos
National Grid Reference:
SX2078688106

Details

TRENEGLOS SX 28 NW

7/203 Church of St Gregory (previously 22.11.60 listed as Church of St Werburgh)

GV II*

Parish church dedicated to St Gregory. Norman origins, extended in late C15 or early C16 and tower rebuilt in 1872. Granite ashlar south porch and south wall of nave. Stone rubble chancel, snecked stone with granite quoins in north aisle and roughly snecked stone west tower. Plan: Nave, chancel, 4-bay north aisle, south porch and west tower. The church has Norman origins with Norman font and tympanum. North aisle added in circa late C15 or early C16 and south wall of nave and porch added in C16. Tower rebuilt in 1872. Exterior: C19 west tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth and strings and parapet rebuilt, the croceted finials reused from the earlier tower. Stair turret on north. No west door, C19 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry openings. Complete late C15 or early C16 Perpendicular tracery to north aisle with moulded basket arch to north door and canted rood loft stair turret towards east end. C19 east window to chancel. Cusped 1-light window in south wall of chancel and two circa C16 Perpendicular 3-light windows in nave. C16 porch with outer 4-centred roll-moulded arch with hood mould, C16 waggon roof and C16 roll-moulded 4-centred granite arch to south door with Norman tympanum above. The tympanum probably depicts two lions facing each other with a stylized tree in the centre. Interior: C19 plastered walls with remains of red and blue colouring in chancel; possibly distemper. C19 roofs. 4-bay granite arcade to north aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers with moulded caps and bases and moulded 4-centred arches. Remains of rood loft stair modified to provide steps up to C19 pulpit. C19 altar table and rails and simple C19 pews. Gothic detailing to organ case. Norman font of circa 1100 (Sedding): Round bowl and shaft with square upper part of base decorated with carved heads on corners. 4 engaged round squat shafts forming lower part of base. stocks at west end of church. Gas light fittings. Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970. Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SX2078688106

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68093
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/11595/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janine L. Richardson-Potter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].