LITTLE TRETHEWEY WESLEYAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1311918

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: LITTLE TRETHEWEY WESLEYAN CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE TRETHEWEY WESLEYAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311918 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 03:22:11.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE TRETHEWEY WESLEYAN CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Levan

National Grid Reference: SW 37975 23807

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/01/2012

SW 32 SE 7/187

ST LEVAN LITTLE TRETHEWEY Little Trethewey Wesleyan Chapel

GV II*

Alternatively known as: Chygwidden Chapel, St Levan, LITTLE TRETHEWEY Nonconformist (Wesleyan) chapel. 1868 datestone, extended to rear late C19.

MATERIALS: stuccoed walls with stucco detail; scantle slate roofs with projecting eaves, pedimented gable at front and gable end at rear; cast-iron ogee gutters. PLAN: rectangular 4-bay aisle-less plan plus porch to right-hand side (entrance front) between first two bays and vestry between second and third bays; end gallery at the front end, organ loft and choir gallery to rear (ritual east end). Simple Italianate style.

EXTERIOR: unaltered single-storey elevations with round-arched openings with moulded architraves in recessed flat-headed keyed panels; all windows 4-pane horned sashes. 2-bay entrance front has simple entablature and moulded pediment with traceried oculus. Entrance front has window, porch, window, gable-ended vestry and window. Gable-ended porch has original pair of 3-panel doors with flush beaded panels within round-arched doorway. Left-hand return wall of vestry has 6-panel door and 4-pane horned sash.

INTERIOR: fine simple interior with moulded plaster ceiling cornice. Ramped end gallery carried on 2 Tuscan columns, the balustraded and pilastered gallery front with moulded cornice broken forward over the columns and with centre break for clock. The steep gallery staircase is a straight flight with closed string and stick balustrade at rear of gallery. Ritual east end has turned balustrade to front of organ loft.

FITTINGS include original pitch-pine box pews with doors, the ramped pews to gallery and immediately below with ramped ends; fine painted late C19 rostrum with turned balustrade over moulded cornice, the solid central panel broken forward, the lectern on consoles, open-string staircase right of rostrum with stick balustrade; bow-fronted communion rail overturned balustrade; piped organ with panelled front with consoles to moulded cornice.

The best representative example of this type of wayside chapel in Cornwall, built to a plan which could easily be extended. Its interest is enhanced by its group value as the principal item in the best wayside chapel group in Cornwall, with its manse, graveyard walls and schoolroom.

Sources: 1509 (Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England), An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels by Christopher Stell (RCHM).

Listing NGR: SW3797523807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 69736

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

End of official listing