CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1312016
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312016.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:00:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Aspley Heath
National Grid Reference:
SP 92858 35343

Details

SP 9235-9335 ASPLEY HEATH CHURCH ROAD 6/32 1.3.72 Church of Saint Michael - II* Parish church, 1868 by Henry Clutton, patron the Duke of Bedford. Some reworking 1889 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Coursed limestone with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N gable block and vestry, nave, N and S aisles, N chapel, S porch. Loosely Gothic and Tudor motifs. Almost all windows have curious tracery, formed by intersecting circles, truncated just beyond intersection. Most are under square heads. Plain parapets to most blocks with gargoyle waterspouts at intervals. Cross finials to most gables, Chancel:E elevation has 3 elongated pointed-arched single lights, central one taller, N elevation has 3-light window, outer lights blind: S elevation has similar window to E and 2 2-light windows to W. Internally 2 SW windows are set in pointed-arched 2-bay blind arcade, matched by similar blind arcade to N. N gable block:2-storeyed. Lower room has plain 3-light N window. Upper room has large rose window with cross of 2 mullions and 2 transoms and trefoils similar to cusping elsewhere. Integral chimney stack to gable apex with linked polygonal shafts. Single-storeyed vestry block within NE angle has pointed-arched E door and 3-light window. Nave: 5-bay round-arched arcades on slender columns to both sides. W end has 2 long pointed-arched single lights. These flank a substantial 5-stage buttress. Supported by buttress, at gable apex, is partially projecting circular bell-turret. Bell- stage has single lights similar to those elsewhere. Small stone spire pierced by small rectangular slits. N and S aisles: each has 2 4-light windows. Steeply pitched roof extends over nave and aisles. N chapel: projects from E end of N aisle. 2 3-light N windows. Slender column and corbels support moulded timber posts, lintel and curved braces, forming 2-bay arcade onto N aisle. S porch: to W end of S aisle. Tall, gabled, with pointed archway surmounted by small single light. Side elevations have single lights. Interior: fairly simple. Chancel has barrel-vaulted roof. Open timber roof to nave and aisles, the timbers substantial and simply moulded. Chancel has piscina and sedilia with cusped pointed arches. Glass of 1890 to chancel E window and N chapel NE window. N chapel has timber screen with heavy cusping and slender colonnettes.

Listing NGR: SP9285835343

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38135
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02423/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Serena Teer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].