HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1312353
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1961
Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312353.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 01:59:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Abbots Leigh
National Grid Reference:
ST 54442 74018

Details

ST 57 SW ABBOTS LEIGH CHURCH ROAD (north-west side)

4/3 Holy Trinity Church 11.10.61 G.V. II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C15; restored and partially rebuilt after a fire in 1847-48. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof to nave, double Roman tiles to chancel. All in a Perpendicular style. West tower: 3 stages with diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with plain pinnacles; polygonal stair tower with spirelet projects at north-east corner; 2-light bell chamber opening, 4-light west window; west door under hood mould with carved head stops. North and south aisles: embattled parapets; 2-light windows with cusped heads to tracery. Gabled projecting south porch. Chancel: 3-light east window as south window. Interior. South doorway has moulded surround with fleurons. 3 bay north and south arcades: the south one has piers of engaged shafts alternating with four hollows, 4-centred arches; the north one is C19. Plain chancel arch. The tower arch has a chamfered outer order and a wave moulded inner order. Mid C19 nave roof of arch-braced collar beam trusses and 3 tiers of cusped windbraces; 6-light dormer windows. Early C19 ribbed roof to chancel. Pulpit, C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C19, in a perpendicular style; ashlar, octagonal. Monuments. Tower: Miles funeral hatchment; P.J. Miles, died 1845, by E.H. Bailey, marble neo-classical monument with an inscribed plinth on brackets, and 2 female mourners (one seated) which flank a draped vase on a pedestal bearing the Miles arms. Nave: Francis Short, died 1853 by Tyley of Bristol, urn on a pedestal and a female mourning figure. South aisle: Mark Davis, died 1783, marble plaque with bowed ends and swan neck pediment; six- poster late C16 ashlar tomb, thought-to be Lady Jane Norton (no figure) fluted Ionic columns, fluted frieze with segmental pediment and arms. Chancel: Sir George Norton, died 1715, marble baroque inscribed plaque flanked by Corinthian columns which support a plain entablature, surmounted by concave sided pediment, side volutes rest on a plinth which has portrait medallions. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5444274018

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33399
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03192/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].