PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1312387
Date first listed:
13-Jul-1964
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312387.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 11:25:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bedford (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Willington
National Grid Reference:
TL 10653 49866

Details

TL 14NW WILLINGTON CHURCH END

4/115 Parish Church of St Lawrence 13.7.64 GV II

Parish church. Early C16. N chapel (1541), and possibly whole church, built oy Sir John Gostwick, Master of the Horse to Cardinal Wolsey and later Treasurer of the First Fruits and Tenths under Henry VIII. Restored 1876-7 under Clutton. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Chancel, N chapel, nave, N aisle, S porch, W tower. Chancel: E wall filled by large window of 5 cinquefoiled lights under 2-centred head. Flanking shafts possibly indicate original intention of vaulting chancel in stone. S wall has 2 3-light windows under 4-centred heads, with embattled transoms. These flank 4-centred arched priest's door. 2-centred chancel arch. 2-bay N arcade with 4-centred arches. N chapel: 3-light E window under 2-centred head. 2 N windows of 3 ogee lights. Pointed arch onto N aisle. Nave: 4-centred S doorway, flanked by 4-light transomed windows, lower part with pointed cinquefoiled heads, upper part with 4-centred uncusped heads. 3-bay N arcade with 2-centred heads. Rood staircase to NE. Clerestory has 3 2-light uncusped windows with 4-centred heads. N aisle: N doorway with pointed head, flanked by windows with 3 uncusped lights under 4-centred heads. S porch: each side has 3-light window under square head. Outer doorway has depressed arch with decoration of diamond panels. Small niche above doorway has canopy with soffit carved to represent vaulting ribs. W tower: 3 stages, with diagonal buttresses. Each face of top stage has 2-light transomed window under pointed arch and square label. Blocked W door with C19 3-light window above. S elevation has small pointed arched doorway. 4 small lights to staircase, and single pointed arched light to middle stage. Embattled parapets throughout. Interior: original low-pitched roofs, chancel and chapel ones with carved corbels, aisle and nave ones with foliated bosses and embattled wall plates. Some C16 tracery to bench ends. Chapel has alabaster and black marble tomb to Sir William Gostwick, d,1615, with painted and gilt effigy on mattress under wooden canopy painted to represent marble. To N is wall monument to Sir Edward Gostwick and wife Anne, 1635, with 2 kneeling figures under round-headed arches, and figures of sons and daughters below. In E bay of chancel arcade is chest tomb to Sir John Gostwick, d.l545, with panel above recording building of chapel in 1541. Some medieval floor tiles retained in chapel.

Listing NGR: TL1065349866

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
36752
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01826/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Clive Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].