CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1312831
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312831.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 11:19:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
East Harptree
National Grid Reference:
ST 56547 55974

Details

ST 55 NE EAST HARPTREE C.P. CHURCH LANE (west side)

5/28 Church of St. Laurence 21.9.60 G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C12, C13, C15 west tower with parapet restored 1633, late C19 restoration. Coursed sandstone and limestone rubble to tower and south porch, squared and coursed rubble stone to nave and chancel. Dressed stone openings, quoins and copings. Concrete tiles to nave, slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch. Nave south side has 3 Perpendicular windows: one 3-light under pointed head, another 3-light under straight head and a 4-light with cusped tracery and hoodmould with lozenge stops. Chancel south side has a single light Decorated window with pointed head and a 2-light Perpendicular window under straight head. Corbel with face under eaves. East window is of 2 lights: C19 Perpendicular style. C19 lancet and C15 4-centred arched doorway on north side. North aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows a 4-central arched doorway and further 3-light window to east wall. Fine animal gargoyles on string course below parapet. Tower of 3 stages with polygonal north west corner stair turret with embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses, moulded string course to 1st stage, pierced and cusped quatrefoil parapet with restoration plaque inset and corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has Tudor arched doorway with hoodmould, plank door, and above, a 3-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould. Top 2 stages have 2-light windows with dripstones, those to bell stage cusped with dense quatrefoil piercing. South porch has one 3-light Perpendicular window on west side and restored segmental-headed doorway. Transitional south door with segmental arch and 2 outer mouldings along jambs and arch, one a roll, the other a crenellation with triangular merlons. Interior. Nave has C13 six bay arcade with clustered shafts and moulded arches giving onto north aisle. Triple chamfered tower arch. Piscina with ogee head on south wall at chancel arch and above, blocked rood loft door. Squint connecting north aisle with chancel. C13 moulded chancel arch, 2 piscinas with trilobed heads on chancel south wall, aumbry with panelled Jacobean doors on north wall. Open C19 rafter roof on C15 embattled wooden wall plate to nave, chancel has C19 wagon roof. Fittings. Nave has Norman font, some C15 traceried bench ends, Jacobean panelling under tower arch, polygonal Jacobean pulpit with Jacobean and later panelling on south wall. Further Jacobean panelling across squint. Fine early C20 War Memorial window to south wall and C19 stained glass to aisle windows. Late C19 wooden chancel screen. Chancel has fragments of medieval wall painting on reveal of north window and above east window, late C19 painted censing angels either side of seated Christ. Also late C19 stencilling and painted foliage on roof. C17 communion rails with turned balusters in 3 separated sections within C19 frames. C19 stained glass in east window. Monument to Sir John Newton (died 1568) now in south porch, formerly in church, re-erected 1883. Renaissance style. Effigy on chest tomb with 2 panels of kneeling mourners: boys on the left, girls on the right, beneath a canopy on 6 fluted Ionic columns carrying a tall entablature and projecting moulded cornice with strapwork and classical motifs. Inscription painted on rear wall in rhyming couplets. (Pevsner, Buildings of England).

Listing NGR: ST5654755974

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32766
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/7511

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/10976/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].