CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314026
Date first listed:
23-Nov-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, DUDWELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:46:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, DUDWELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 09308 22669

Details



679/7/170 DUDWELL LANE 23-NOV-73 (South side) CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of 1858 by Mallinson & Healey, extended in 1874.

MATERIALS: Coursed sandstone with freestone dressings, graded-slate roof.

PLAN: Asymmetrical plan of aisled nave with north porch, north transept, south transept tower, lower chancel with north and east vestries.

EXTERIOR: Free-Decorated style church. The nave is 5 bays. Aisles have 3-light north and south windows and 2-light west windows, below a clerestorey of cinquefoil windows under segmental heads. The nave has deep angle buttresses, between which a shallow lean-to has been added, and a 3-light west window. The north porch has an entrance with continuous double chamfer. The 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and gabled north-east stair turret with blocked doorway under a shouldered lintel. In the lower stage is a triple cusped south window below a second-stage 2-light window, then small square-headed south and west windows in the third stage. The upper stage is octagonal, with 2-light windows in the main directions, above which is a stone spire with lucarnes. The north transept has a 3-light window. In the chancel is a 4-light east window, 2-light north and south windows. The east vestry has a 3-light east window, and roof concealed behind a parapet. The vestry is a lean-to against the transept, with entrance in a projection wrapped around the north-east angle of the chancel.

INTERIOR: The first 2 bays of the nave have been partitioned off from the main body of the church, but the original architectural elements remain visible. Nave arcades have octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches. Chancel and transept arches are similar, on polygonal responds. Arches into the organ chamber at the base of the tower are steeply pointed. The nave roof has closely spaced rafters, and the chancel has a 3-bay cusped arched-brace roof. The north transept, now closed off and divided into rooms, has a plain arched-brace roof. Walls are plastered. In the west end of the chancel is a raised dais, where the altar has been set up.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Most fittings, including pews and pulpit, have been removed. The 1886 font is an alabaster marble bowl on painted stone stem. It has a tall wooden Gothic canopy now kept in the north transept. The painted freestone reredos is an arcade of cusped arches under crocketed gables, and on marble shafts. In the chancel south wall is a memorial to John Henry Warneford (d 1899), the first incumbent, a bust in an eared and lugged marble architrave. There are several stained-glass windows of the 1860s, and a west window of Christ performing miracles (c1885).

HISTORY: Built in 1858 by the partnership of James Mallinson (1819-84) and Thomas Healey (1839-1910), architects of Bradford. Originally the organ was placed in the north transept and beneath the tower was a gallery. The vestries were added in 1874. The interior was re-ordered c2000 when a parish room, office and service rooms were provided at the west end of the nave. SOURCES: Lambeth Palace Library, Incorporated Church Building Society Archives, file 05078. Information from Dr John Hargreaves.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Church of All Saints, Dudwell Lane, Halifax, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * The church is a modest Gothic-Revival design but is spacious in keeping with the expanding population of C19 Halifax. * The church is a major landmark at the south end of the town overlooking the Calder Valley and, with other C19 suburban churches, documents the growth of industrial Halifax in the C19 and is a good example of how C19 churches were carefully sited to occupy commanding positions in the townscape.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
338689
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15221/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].