CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314612
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314612.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:46:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 43588 95927

Details

SK49NW RAWMARSH HIGH STREET (west side)

5/18 Church of St. Mary

8.10.62 GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1839 by J. P. Pritchett; tower rebuilt 1869 incorporating remains of an C11 or C12 doorway; chancel extended, organ-chamber and vestry added c1896 by Platts of Rotherham (Cater, p13). Coursed, squared sandstone, Welsh slate roof. West tower, 4-bay nave with aisles, lower single-bay apsidal chancel with north organ chamber and south vestry. Gothic revival, largely in Early English style.

Tower: 3 stages. Heavily-restored Norman south door with 3 orders of colonnettes within recess. Stair-turret to south-west corner. 2-light window to 2nd stage. Paired belfry openings with louvres and hoodmoulds. Clock beneath quatrefoil-pierced parapet. 8 pinnacles.

Nave: buttresses to angles and between bays. Chamfered band beneath coupled lancets, hoodmoulds with carved-head stops. Groups of 3 lancets to each bay of clerestorey.

Chancel: angle buttresses. Vestry gabled and at right angles to chancel with group of 3 lancets beneath corbelled parapet with gable cross. East window of 3 lights above apron with blind quatrefoils. Corbel-table to coped gable with cross.

Interior: nave arcades double-chamfered, octagonal piers. Chancel arch: tripartite responds and carved capitals to moulded arch. Decorative roof trusses with cusped-headed panels. Brass dated 1616 to south of chancel arch: to John Darley of Kilnhurst, depicts 4 sons and 4 daughters kneeling before his coffin. Wall monument dated 1667 in north aisle: to Maria, daughter of Thomas Wentworth; inscribed plaque flanked by Corinthian columns beneath broken pediment with heraldic device. Cross base and shaft beneath tower, probably C12 (Ryder).

P. M. Cater, A History of St. Mary's Church Rawmarsh, 1981.

P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, 1982, pp116-117.

Listing NGR: SK4359095927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335527
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cater, P M , A History of St Marys Church Rawmarsh, (1981)
Ryder, P F, 'South Yorkshire County Archaeological Monograph' in Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, (1982), 116-117

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/11190/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].