Details
SE 2769 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS 9/51 Church of St Mary 6.3.67 GV I
Church of St Mary. 1871-78 by William Burges for the first Marchioness of
Ripon. Fine-grained grey limestone from the Morcar quarry near Markenfield
Hall, interior creamy white limestone from Lord Ripon's own quarries (Crook,
p233); grey slate roof. 2-stage west tower with spire; 4-bay nave with
clerestory, aisles and south porch; 2-bay chancel. A masterpiece
of High Victorian architecture in an elaborate Early English style. Among
the many striking features are: the south and west doors with extravagant
scrolled and figured ironwork; the latter recessed under an unusual
segmental arch; the west window of 4-lights with a rose and similar to the
east window which is flanked by sculptured groups and surmounted by a
crucifix, all details under elaborate crocketed hood-moulds. The tower:
belfry windows have gables carried up into the spire; polygonal spirelets;
lucarnes; a weather cock crowns the top-most crocket. Interior: lavish,
with extravagant use of coloured stone and marbles; carved details painted
and gilded, flat surfaces painted with saints, angels, stars and symbols all
with the theme of Paradise lost and Paradise regained. Nave arcade of
circular piers with 4 Purbeck shafs; the chancel arch has 7 shafts to each
side. The chancel represents the ultimate achievement of Burges'
eclecticism: the shafts of blue, red and green marble; a lion supports a
shaft above the sedilia. Floor of polychrome tiles and mosaics; walls lined
with alabaster, a waggon roof and domed east bay with trefoil-headed panels
and painted angels. Contemporary fittings include organ reached by stone
spiral staircase in the north aisle and the font of Tennessee marble with
figures of gilded bronze representing the four ages of man. South aisle:
white marble effigy of the first Marchioness of Ripon (d1909) on a chest
tomb. The stained glass designed by F Weeks and made by Saunders and Co.,
sculpture by T Nicholls. The church was built at the west end of the long
drive and vista laid out by John Aislabie, replacing the obelisk (qv) as the
focal point. It was designed to be viewed from all sides with particular
attention to the west side, the principal entrance. The same team of
architect, sculptor and designer worked in 1871-2 on the Church of Christ
the Consoler in the grounds of Newby hall, for Lady Mary Vyner, a relative
of Lord Ripon. N Pevsner, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1967, p 504.
J Mordaunt Crook, William Burges and the High Victorian Dream, 1981, pp 232-
237.
Listing NGR: SE2754169290
Legacy
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number:
331055
Legacy System:
LBS
Sources
Books and journals Mordaunt Crook, J , William Burges and the High Victorian Dream, (1981), 232-237 Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 504Other Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,
Legal
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry