CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1318670
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318670.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:54:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alvediston
National Grid Reference:
ST 97678 23948

Details

ST 92 SE ALVEDISTON ALVEDISTON VILLAGE (north side)

6/10 Church of St. Mary

6.1.66

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C17, restoration 1866 by T. H. Wyatt. Dressed limestone, tiled roofs. Consists of nave, chancel, north and south transepts, north organ chamber and west tower, south porch. C19 lean-to porch with chamfered pointed doorway. C17 square-headed window over porch. South transept has diagonal buttresses, 2-light Perpendicular-style window with foliated terminals to hoodmould, coped verge, east side has C19 2-light square-headed window. South side of chancel has lancet and C19 lean-to vestry with shouldered chamfered doorway and lancet. East end has three stepped lancets with continuous hoodmould with foliated terminals. North organ chamber has 3 lancets and a trefoil. North transept has 3-light Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould. North side of nave has 2-light C19 square-headed window with hoodmould. All roof verges are coped, cross finials. C17, 3-stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, hollow-chamfered square-headed windows to second and third stages of north side, west side has 2-light C19 pointed window to first stage, single square-headed window to second stage and 2-light round-arched window to bell-stage, south side has similar windows and three- sided stair turret, battlemented parapet with pinnacles. Interior: Chamfered pointed doorway with ornamented C19 door. Four-bay nave has arch-braced collar truss roof, stone floors. Double-chamfered arch on tassel-carved corbels to tower, chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to tower stairs, C12 font bowl on cylindrical base at base of tower. C19 round-arch on half-shafts to north transept, pointed arch with continuous moulding to south transept, both transepts with exposed wagon roofs. Restored hollow and double-ogee chamfered chancel arch on C19 foliated corbels. 3-bay arch-braced collar chancel roof, polychrome tiled floor, pointed door to vestry and lancet to right, now on interior wall. C19 piscina on north wall. Open traceried wooden partition between north-east chapel and chancel. 1860's pews, pulpit, choir stalls. Good unsigned glass of 1881 in west window. A good collection of C17 and C18 wall tablets in south transept; slate and marble tablet with Ionic columns, open segmental pediment and fine lettering to John Wyndham of Norrington (q.v.), died 1668, marble with composite pilasters, broken segmental pediment and cupids to Mrs. Wadham Wyndham died 1704, marble with urn and rococo cartouche to John Wyndham died 1724, but by Rysbrack 1746. In north transept a marble with shafts by F. Brown of Salisbury to Thomas King, died 1787, of Samways (q.v.). Recumbent late C14 knight, possibly John Gawen, with angels and dog in niche in wall of south transept. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST9767823948

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320236
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03189/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].