CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1318799
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318799.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:09:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sedgehill and Semley
National Grid Reference:
ST 89222 26877

Details

SEMLEY SEMLEY VILLAGE ST 82 NE (south side)

3/184 Church of St. Leonard

GV II

Anglican parish church. 1866-76 rebuilding by T.H. Wyatt, on site of Medieval church. Limestone ashlar, tiled roof. Plan: west tower, nave and south aisle, chancel and south chapel, north porch. Decorated style. Gabled porch has diagonal buttresses, moulded pointed opening with attached shafts with foliated capitals, quatrefoils to sides, coped verges. Nave has 3-light window to right, two 2-light to left; with geometric tracery, buttresses with offsets. Chancel has 2-light, 3-light and single geometric windows, quatrefoil frieze, 3-light geometric east window has hoodmould with foliated terminals, diagonal buttresses, south side has single-light window to right. South chapel has 3-light east windows with hoodmould, angle buttresses, attached vestry has hipped roof with 2-light gablet and porch with pointed chamfered doorway. South aisle has four 2-light Perpendicular-style windows, buttresses, 3-light west window to aisle, set-back buttresses. Five-stage tower has set-back buttresses carried up to gablets at bell stage, string courses, west doorway has moulded pointed opening with attached shafts and aedicule, 4-light geometric window over, gilded clock face to 3rd stage on west and north, single light to south side, bell stage has 2-light louvred windows to all sides, quatrefoil frieze to battlemented parapet with gargoyles. Octagonal stair turret attached to north east corner with roll- moulded pointed doorway and chamfered loopholes to projecting porch to stairs on north side of tower, conical turret roof has gablets with ogee lancets. Interior: Porch has scissor rafter roof, stone benches, moulded pointed inner doorway with double door. Nave has good 4-bay hammer-beam roof with curved windbracing and exposed rafters, plastered walls and polychrome tiled floor. Four-bay south aisle arcade has piers with foliated capitals and moulded pointed arches, arch-braced collar-truss aisle roof with collar trusses to half- bays, organ in west bay. Stair turret projects into west end of nave on corbel, tall pointed tower arch. Chancel arch on short marble corbel shafts with foliated decoration, chancel has ashlar walls and pointed barrel-vaulted ceiling with panelling, Biblical inscriptions to frieze in gothic script, rere-arches to windows. South chapel separated from chancel by pointed door and arch with wrought iron gates and screens, panelled wagon roof, pointed doorway to vestry. Fittings: C19 pews, C12 stone cylindrical font at west end, fine C18 brass candelabra in chancel. Stained glass in north west nave window by F.C. Eden, 1897, south aisle by W.C. Taylor, 1882, good unsigned east window possibly by Lavers and Barraud. Large stone recumbent figure, probably of a bishop in nave, possibly C13, wall tablets include marble to Rev Ralph Ord died 1855 and signed Osmund of Sarum. Rebuilding paid for by Marchioness of Westminster of Fonthill. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8922226877

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320974
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16270/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Rev Andrew Salmon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].