Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321952.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 21:22:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71210 73589


FRIAR STREET 1. 5128 (North Side) Greyfriars Church SU 7173 12/122 22.3.57. I 2. Church of England. Said to be the most complete surviving example of Fransiscan- architecture in England, and in use again as a church. The first site (1255-59) being unsatisfactory, the present church was built 1285 plus, and ready by 1311. It served as Town Bridewell during the C18 and was only restored circa 1863 by the Borough Surveyor (W H Woodmn). Built of squared knapped flints with stone plinth, dressings and buttresses. Tiled roof swept down over aisles with small vents. 3 bay nave, large transept (added to church by Woodman, probably incorrectly), chancel removed after the Reformation and east chancel arch blocked. Gable over now carries Woodman's triple arched belfry. The nave has segmental headed 3 light windows of plain decorated style and an extremely fine west window of 5 lights, decorated style with reticulated tracery. The transept has 2 bays each side of main vessel, each with plain 'Y' tracery, the north and south windows 4-light in Decorated style. North and south doors in nave with moulded pointed arches. Interior spacious; crown post and wind-brace roof supported on original cruciform and quadriblobe shafts. Gabled and arcaded retable. Font and pulpit date from restoration. Entrance now in annexe to west.

Listing NGR: SU7121673588


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04979/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].