RAILWAY FACTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1323740
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1998
Statutory Address:
RAILWAY FACTORY, ELVET AVENUE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323740.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 15:36:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILWAY FACTORY, ELVET AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Havering (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 53483 89644

Details

TQ 3589 ELVET AVENUE, Romford

940/4/10012 Railway Factory

II

Railway engineering works. 1843-47 for the Eastern Counties Railway. Stock brick; tarred slate roofs. 3 parallel blocks: north block by railway lines of 1843, interior altered 1847; south block 1847; engine shed to south of south block 1847.

North block north front is symmetrical 11-window range. 2 storeys. Central entrance with semi-circular artificial stone arch with keyblock. Ground-floor fenestration of round-headed tripartite windows with multiple panes and gauged arches, the pair immediately flanking entrance of smaller size. Platband at first floor. First-floor windows are tripartite casements under straight gauged skewback arches. Clasping corner pilasters connected by low parapet. Centre of elevation with tall square water tower with clasping pilasters, applied pediment on console volutes and hipped roof. Main roof hipped. East and west returns with single-bay elevation to front office wing: arched entrance to ground floor and one tripartite casement above. Factory works behind: 13-window range south front; east and west returns of 5 windows. South front with 13 arched openings under gauged arches originally containing double-hung timber doors with glazed upper parts. These doors now without hinges (hinge pins remain). Timber tympani with 4-paned fixed windows. Original double doors remain in seventh bay (from west) under an elevated walkway linking north and south blocks. Platband below parapet. West half raised into 2 storeys late C19, without windows. Returns with arched fenestration as north front, but north window on west return converted to doorway. On this front the late C19 raised portion also without openings. Hipped roof with full-length louvred ventilation lantern. INTERIOR: 2 storey internal wall to north with round arched openings, some blocked, platband at first floor below tripartite casements. Factory space divided into 4 aisles in 13 bays by wooden posts to west 6 bays and by cast-iron columns to east 7 bays; the latter inserted 1847. Timber tie beams supporting queen-post roof.

South block consists of 13-window range to north and south in 2 storeys with clasping corner pilasters and hipped roof. At east and west ends is a 2-window single storey block linking to a higher range at right angles. North front of central portion with double timber doors in each of the 13 gauged arched openings. Upper part of doors glazed; tympani with 4-paned fixed lights. Platband at first floor. First-floor fenestration of tripartite casements. South front similar except ground-floor openings contain arched casements with multiple panes, the central one over a doorway. Hipped roof with full-length gabled lantern. Blocks at right angles with 3 round-headed boarded windows to returns set in recessed gauged brick arches. Altered fenestration to east and west elevations. Hipped roofs each with weatherboarded hipped lantern with 2 12-paned fixed windows each side. INTERIOR: 13 bays in 3 aisles created by internal cast-iron columns linking cast-iron architrave on which stands further, smaller, cast-iron columns supporting the central glazed lantern. Timber A-frame roof trusses. Cast-iron beams connect the architrave to the side walls at each column. Balustraded elevated walkway in centre. South aisle floored. Arched opening at east end into 2-bay link and cross wing.

Engine house to south: single storey; symmetrical 7-window range. Recessed centre with round-headed multiple paned casement. 3 similar, taller, casements to side bays. Round-headed doorway to west return, late C20 double doors to east return. West side bays carry riveted steel water tank on roof (corresponding tank on east side removed C20). Tall tapering circular chimneystack. INTERIOR: not inspected.



Listing NGR: TQ5348389644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469174
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05346/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Bridgeman-Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].