CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1325524
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, RUGBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325524.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:42:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, RUGBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Weston under Wetherley
National Grid Reference:
SP 36034 69245

Details

WESTON-UNDER-WETHERLEY Rugby Road 12/352 Church of Saint Michael

11.4.67

GV I

Parish church. Consists of chancel, north chapel, nave, north aisle, west tower, vestry and south porch. Evidence of a C12 church in north and south walls of chancel, consisting of two semi-circular headed blocked windows. Early in C13 church almost entirely rebuilt. Tower built early in C14 except the top stage which added late in C14. North chapel built in C16 and in modern times vestry and south porch. Built of red sandstone ashlar but later parts in a light coloured sandstone. Roofs covered in plain tiles. C13 east window of chancel is of three pointed lights with plain tracery and pointed arch. On south side chancel is a C13 window of two-pointed lights and to west a two-light square headed C17 window. Between them is a narrow pointed doorway. C16 chapel built against north wall of chancel. East window of three-cinquefoil lights with a four-centred arch, and on north side are two 2-light cinquefoil windows with square heads all contemporary with chapel. In south wall of nave are three windows, the one to west is early Cl4, other two of similar design are modern. The original has two-trefoil lights with plain tracery in a pointed arch. The south doorway has a pointed arch with wave moulding. In front of door is modern gabled porch. Modern vestry built at western end of north aisle embracing original north door. It has a low pitched gable to north and is lighted by two windows of 2-cinquefoil lights with square heads on north and west and single conquefoil light on east. The north aisle is lighted by three small lancet windows, two in north wall and one in west and above these the wall was raised in late C14 and two windows of two-trefoil lights with plain tracery and four-centred heads provided. Massive tower is in three stages undivided but upper two are marked off from lower stage by splayed offset. Embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Buttresses rise to base of parapet, the two at south and west angles contain tower staircase. On east side of belfry stage is a window of three trefoil lights with plain tracery under a four-centred arch and a similar one of two-lights in each of other faces. Interior: Chancel has 1867 collar beam roof and as most of north wall has been demolished, the roof is carried on modern traceried timber screen and three arched bays with stout square posts. In south wall of chancel are two piscina. North chapel roof similar to that of chancel. On east wall of chapel is marble monument dated 1573 to Sir Edward Saunders and Agnes his 2nd wife. It is in three diminishing tiers. Also on same wall is stone slab to Margery 1st wife of Sir Edward Saunders died 1563. On north wall is decorated mural tablet to Margaret and - Mary Morgan, died 1584. Nave has 1867 collar beam roof. The C13 chancel arch is pointed and of two splayed orders. Early C13 arcade of three bays with pointed arches of two splayed orders supported on octagonal pillars and responds with moulded capitals and bases. Tower arch is segmental pointed arch of two orders. North aisle roof has C16 beams and purlins. In north wall aisle is tomb recess with segmental pointed arch. In north chapel is early C17 oak chest. In the bench ends are reused late C16 traceried panels. Octagonal early C14 font with eight sides.



Listing NGR: SP3603369244

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308231
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03072/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Ruth Charlton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].