CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1325926
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325926.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:52:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Halton (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49448 85334

Details

SJ 48 NE FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES ST MICHAEL'S ROAD, Ditton

1/97 Church of St.Michael

II*

Catholic Church 1876-9, by Henry Clutton, in red sandstone ashlar with slate roof. Cruciform with 8 bay arcade which passes the short transepts and takes in the chancel. At the west end of the nave there is an impressive tower with steep saddleback roof. The main entrance, in the tower, is a pair of large board filled 3 panel doors in a Gothic opening with treble shaft treatment, this idea is extended upwards to the 3 bell-stage lancets which are framed by shafts with rings. The gables of the chancel and transepts have rose windows with stained glass, elsewhere windows are large lancets. Steep pitched roof with crested ridge tiles surrounded by eaves parapet in the form of a continuous open arcade. Interior: Twin coupled shafts with early Gothic style crocket caps run throughout the length of the building and support Gothic aisle arches and a hardwood boarded barrel vaulted ceiling which is common to the chancel and nave. The north transept has the organ and the south confessionals. The chancel has yellow sandstone walls and marble floors, whereas the nave has plastered walls. Built for a Jesuit community expelled from Germany in 1872.

Listing NGR: SJ4944885334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56058
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/13095/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Byrne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].