CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325956.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-May-2021 at 09:23:10.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Swale (District Authority)
- Boughton under Blean
- National Grid Reference:
- TR 04784 58554
TR 05 NW BOUGHTON SOUTH STREET
Church of St. Peter 4/75 and St. Paul 24.1.67 I GV
Parish Church. C13 with C14 chapel, C15 aisles and tower. Restored 1871 by St. Aubyn (£2000). Flint and rubble with plain tiled roofs. Chancel with north and south chapels, south transept, nave with aisles, western tower and north porch. Three stage western tower with plinth, string courses, cornice and battlements, 3 times offset diagonal buttresses and south east stair turret, square rising to obtagonal upper stages. Triple hollow moulded west doorway with drip mould, and 3 light Perpendicular traceried west window. South aisle and south transept with C15 Perpendicular fenestration, with large 5 light south window, and single C13 lancet in east walls of transept, with 2 large offset diagonal buttresses. South chapel with paired ogee-headed cusped lights. Chancel with lancet windows, and triple lancet east window. North chapel with lancet windows. North aisle with plinth, string course and parapet, small projecting rood vice, Perpendicular tracery, and north porch, with hollowed chamfered north doorway, attached shafts and moulded surround with drip mould. Interior: hollow chamfered tower arch and surround with octagonal moulded responds. The tower has lower floor level than the nave, cut into the nave arcades and exposes the original quoins of the nave west wall. Nave arcade of 3½ bays to north and 2½ bays to south, with solid west bay. Octagonal piers (but 1 round pier in north arcade) with double chamfered arches. Double hollow chamfered C14 arch on corbels to south transept. Roof of 5 crown posts, the east and west posts raised. South and north aisles with lean-to roofs, South transept with 1 chamfered arch to south aisle, double hollow chamfered arch to south chapel. Crown post roof on knee braces. Some partial survival of a roll moulded string course. Chancel arch with drip and keeled roll mould on carved head corbels. Chancel with 2 bay arcade to south chapel, with double chamfered arches on octagonal pier and responds. Triple lancet east window with slender attached shafts and heavy moulded string course. The lancet on south wall brought down to ground level to incorporate sedilia. Two bay double chamfered arcade to north chapel with heavily moulded and undercut pier. Trussed roof. North chapel with heavy string course, double chamfered arch to north aisle and roof of 2 crown posts. Fittings: C15 screen from north aisle to north chapel, with rood stair. Three bays with cusped tracery. Five bay C16 chancel screen with panelled cusped base. Four traceried lights to each bay with crenellated and sloping transoms, with attached shafts. Renewed top beam. The carving and enrichment has Renaissance details. Three bay screen to south chapel with moulded mullions, cusped tracery and four centred arched heads. Two tier sedilia in chancel with cusped ogee headed piscina, with attached shafts (for missing canopy?). Aumbreys to left and right on east wall. South chapel with sedile and reset brattished cornice, and trefoil-headed piscina. C14 cusped ogee wall niche with attached colonnettes running into the string course. Holy water stoups in south aisle, and with four centred arched head, incised spandrels and moulded combo in north aisle. Monuments: Chancel: sedilia backed with incised heraldic achievements. South chapel: John Petit, d.1630. Black wall plaque with white surround, moulded head and scrolled achievement on pilasters with obelisk finials, the panel bears small relief figures of man and wife opposite each other with a prayer desk. Winged cherub base. George Farewell, d.1741. Marble plaque wrapped around central pier of chancel arcade. Moulded base and top with shield over. South aisle: Anne Alleyn, d.1713. Black wall plaque with bolection moulded surround, cornice and scrolled achievement. North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1617. Epiphanius Evesham, signed. Knight and lady recumbent on sarcophagus, with rear screen and inscription part in Latin (for a Catholic family) with carved symbols of death, cherubs heads, arms and trophies, scrolled semi-pediment on pilasters. Two alabaster panels on the side of the tomb ,chest, showing 7 sons and 6 daughters of varying ages, grieving and expressing their emotion, surrounded by their favourite objects and pets (see also similar panels at Lynsted). John Hawkins, white wall plaque set up by grandson Thomas Hawkins in 1749 to commemorate the former's preservation of the family fortunes through the Interregnum. Dame Mary Knatchbull, d.1850. C13 style coffin slab, incised with cross and inscription, with railed enclosure (incorporating earlier monuments). Tower: Henry Pettit, d.1807; black wall plaque with white marble surround and pilasters with incised flowers in vases. 'Scrolled apron. Sir John Routh. Late C17 white marble wall plaque. Egg and tongue and bolection moulded surround with heavy bracketed base and scrolled and garlanded sides. Ionic attached columns, cornice and frieze, scrolled pediment and achievement. Brasses South transept: John Bett, d.1508. 15½" figures of John and Joan, poorly engraved, with English inscription. Elizabeth Driland, d.1591. 19½" well engraved figures of man and wife with 4 mourning daughters and (missing) sons, and partially lost coats of arms. Latin inscriptions to John Collins (d.1450) and Sir? Petit of Colkins, d.1596. North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1587, aged 101. Armoured figure 34" long, with fulsome inscription. Small wall plaque nearby to Elionor Sea, his wife, d.1553. (See B.O.E. Kent, II, 1983, 150-151)
Listing NGR: TR0592857475
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 150-151
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing