HARBY BROW TOWER, ADJOINING FARMHOUSE AND BARN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1327215
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
HARBY BROW TOWER, ADJOINING FARMHOUSE AND BARN

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARBY BROW TOWER, ADJOINING FARMHOUSE AND BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327215.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 00:29:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARBY BROW TOWER, ADJOINING FARMHOUSE AND BARN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Allhallows
National Grid Reference:
NY1923841504

Details

NY 14 SE ALLHALLOWS

5/2 Harby Brow Tower, adjoining farmhouse and barn 11.4.67 I

Tower house, farmhouse and adjoining barn. C15 for Alexander Highmoor, early C19 farmhouse, replacing hall range dated by inscription retained inside THYS HOUSE WAS BUILDED IN THE FOURH YERE OF THE RYNE OF KYNG EDWARDE THE SEX WHAN A BOUSCHEL OF WETE WAS AT viis, A BOUSCHEL OF BERE A NOWBEL, MAULT iiiis ST(ONE) MORE, with porch inscribed THE BLESSING OF THE LORD IT MAKETH RICH G.A.M. (George Moore) THIS PORCH WAS BUILT AD 1876. Tower of large blocks of mixed red and yellow sandstone, with battlemented parapet and flush red sandstone quoins, on large plinth stones. Farmhouse and barn of coursed red sandstone rubble under graduated greenslate roof with rendered chimney stacks. 4-storey tower, adjoining farmhouse to left 2 storeys, 3 bays with barn continuing to left under common roof. West wall of tower, nearest to farmhouse, has hollow-chamfered doorway which originally gave access into the lower chamber, but is now internally blocked and only gives access to newel staircase. 2 periods of roof creases show height of original hall range. South wall has central chamfered-surround openings, that on second floor blocked, with flanking slit vents, those to left for staircase, those to right for garderobes. East wall has 2-light stone-mullioned windows with cusped heads. North wall has hollow-chamfered doorway and 2-light windows (similar) to east wall but these are C19 replacements. Projecting west and east carved-head water spouts below parapets. Inner ground floor stone tunnel-vault. Newel staircase for full height up to parapet walk. Garderobes have original stone seats and hand sinks. Blocked first floor doorway into former hall range. C15 stone fireplaces on 2 levels. Roof and floors gone but corbel stones still in place. Farmhouse has stone-porch, with coped gable and ball finial, and chamfered-surround side door. Sash windows in painted stone surrounds. Rear extension has reused lintel inscribed F.H. 1594. Barn has plank doors and sliding loft door with flanking slit vents. See J.F. Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, pp370-2. Further adjoining barns are not of interest. Scheduled A.M.

Listing NGR: NY1923841504

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72307
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 370-372

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12767/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].