Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT BURYAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327526.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:30:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Buryan
National Grid Reference:
SW 40914 25718


SW 42 NW 5/128 (was 19/100)


Church of Saint Buryan



Parish church. North wall of chancel is C12, otherwise C15 and possibly early C16. Restored in 1814 and 1886. Granite ashlar and granite rubble walls, dressed Elvan to parts of C12 walls, otherwise mostly granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends.

PLAN: Nave/chancel under one roof, west tower, north aisle, south aisle and south porch, all C15 or early C16 except for parts of chancel which are C12. Late-medieval (late C15 or early C16) arcades and roof structures.

EXTERIOR: Largely unaltered late-medieval exterior, with most of the original openings. 4-centred arched north and south doorways, late-Perpendicular windows except for the east window of the chancel and windows at east and west ends of the south aisle which are late C19 in Perpendicular style. Tall C15 4-storey embattled tower has buttresses set back from the corners; strings dividing the stages; octagonal stair tower in the angle between the north wall and north aisle; corner pinnacles; 2-centred arched west doorway; 5-light traceried window over doorway and 3-light traceried windows to the upper stage. All principal openings of the church have hoodmoulds. Circa late C15 embattled porch has moulded doorway and buttresses set back from the corners. There is a blocked priest's doorway toward the east end of the south wall of the south aisle.

INTERIOR: Lofty, mostly plastered interior with many late-medieval features including pointed tower arch carried on moulded-corbels; 6-bay arcades, with standard 'A' (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred arches, between nave/chancel and the aisle; rood stair in south wall and waggon roofs throughout. In north wall of chancel are 1½ bays of a C12 arcade with round arcade pier and respond and round arches. A later doorway which led to former chapel to the north is visible on the outside wall.

FITTINGS: C15 font with round bowl and four carved angels over central shaft resembling the arcade piers; C15 or early C16 rood screen reassembled from fragments in 1910 and extended to its original size and with much original red, blue and green paint and gilding to the original medieval parts; two medieval bench ends and other carved fragments made into a lectern and two, probably C16, double misericords, otherwise C19 or C20 fittings.

MONUMENTS: Probably C13 stone coffin-shaped tomb to Clarice, wife of Geoffrey de Bolleit, (north-west corner); C17 slate to Arthur Levelis, died 1671 of Trewoof, qv (west wall of south aisle), and some memorial windows.

Listing NGR: SW4091425717


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Church of Saint Buryan Church Guide
Beacham, P, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (2014)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06076/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Newman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].