CHURCH OF ST CORNELLY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1328898
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CORNELLY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CORNELLY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328898.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:08:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CORNELLY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tregoney
National Grid Reference:
SW 91649 45154

Details

SW 94 NW TREGONY

2/85 Church of St Cornelly - 30-5-67 - I

Parish Church (parish of Cornelly no longer exists), dedicated to St Cornelly (patron saint of horned cattle). C13, C14, C16, C17, C18 and restored 1866 under the guidance of Piers St Aubyn. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings and Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends except to Chancel. Nave and chancel under one roof. West tower, short north aisle and south porch. North wall of nave has reset 3 light granite window with cinquefoil headed lights and hoodmould possibly C15 with replaced mullions and Jambstones. Lancet C13 window to right is in situ and has head cut from one piece of granite. Walling mostly C13 but rebuilt under eaves with C19 wall plate cornice. North aisle at east end is 1720 and built over tomb vault to Gregor family. Granite chimney with chamfered corners added to west gable 1790 with slate grave slab under to right with Latin inscription to Francis Gregor. A Francis Gregor died in 1815 but the slab is probably to an ancestor of his, possible dates of d.1661 or d.1786. East window of aisle is 1720 copy of chancel east window, with F G (Francis Gregor) in label stops. Buttress between chancel and aisle. East chancel window is Perpendicular survival and possibly dates from when the church was extended to east probably C16 or when porch was rebuilt. 3 light south window of chancel has pointed lights under rounded arch and is probably of the same period. Joint in walling to left possibly marks the original extent of the C13 church. Porch with 4 centred rubble arch under granite coped gable is central to nave south wall, which has 2 light C15 granite flat headed window with cinquefoil headed lights to left and similar 3 light window to right. Inner south door is pointed and may be C13 as is most of south wall. Eaves walling and upper walling of east and west gables is part of C19 restoration. Very slender and leaning 3 stages, west tower has C13 first stage of slatestone rubble with original west lancet window. Upper stages of granite ashlar are of reducing width and are divided by moulded string cornices. Ogee headed east window with slate louvres in third stage suggests a C14 date but battlemented parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles are probably C15 or C16. West window in upper stage has been mutilated at head. Wagon roofs to nave are C19 but chancel roof incorporates C15 wagon roof fragments with purlins, bracing and bosses all heavily carved. Porch wagon roof re-erected C17 includes some bosses from main roof. Recess in north wall to east of lancet window and in south wall of nave to east of door probably for stoup. Further recess in south wall of chancel probably contained piscina. Granite rear arch and jambs to C15 window in north wall. Segmental arched granite arcade of 2 bays between north aisle and chancel is 1720 and has standard A type (Pevsner) responds and pier. North aisle is at slightly higher level. Fittings: granite font with C12 elvan base in Norman style but probably C17; hexagonal pine pulpit circa 1700 with painted panels including coat of arms; pine pews with fielded panels; old bell fitted to tower and second bell cracked and removed to north aisle. Monuments: bust to Jane d.1783, daughter of Hugh Gregor; Baroque cartouche with oval border and carved angels with half English and half Latin inscription to Elizabeth d. 1703, daughter of John Gregor of Trewarthenick; slate grave slabe set in south wall under chancel window to Sulana d.1638, wife of Richard Crossman, with coat of arms of goats and small slate over chancel niche to William Mander, d.1625 and Agnes, d.1619. Church is built in the middle of a Medieval playing place or round which may have been a Bronze Age burial mound.

Listing NGR: SW9164445151

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
62914
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].