CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329073.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:07:38.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 42389 56125
SX 45 NW ANTONY MARYFIELD
3/35 Church of St. Philip and St. James (Formerly listed as Merifield Church) 23.1.68 GV II*
Parish church. 1863-65 by William White, steeple built 1870-71 to original designs by White. Random sandstone rubble with sandstone and limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges and Maltese cross finials to nave and chancel. West tower, nave and chancel, north aisle, north transept and north organ chamber, south porch. Decorated style. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses, weathered, with finials to tops at 3rd stage, plinth and string courses. 2nd stage has quatrefoil lights, 3rd stage has 2-light bell-openings with central shaft with foliate capital, pointed arches and hood mould, corbelled cornice above. Octagonal stone spire with crocketted pinnacles, 2-light gabled dormer each side at base with pointed arched lights and cross finials, 4 upper lucarnes and weathervane. North west stair tower with limestone weatherings and lancets, 2-light west window at first stage with cusped heads and hood mould. 3-bay nave has single, 4 and 3-light windows, all with cusped heads and pointed arched doorway with similar hood mould, inner shafts with foliage capitals. 4-bay common rafter roof with collar and collar purlin. Inner doorway has hollow-chamfered pointed arch with similar hood mould, door with decorative strap hinges; quatrefoil light to east. 2-bay chancel has buttresses, 2 south windows, both of 2 lights, with stepped cill string continued over central priest's door, with pointed arch and decorative strap hinges. 5-light east window with stepped cusped lights, cill string with Lombard frieze below. North aisle has pitched roof, cusped lancet and pointed arched door to north, cusped lancet to west. Gabled north transept has buttresses and 3-light north window, cill string. Organ chamber has 2-light cusped window with upper cinquefoil, ogee-headed door with strap hinges and cill string to window continued over head of door. Set in angle to chancel, small gabled vestry with cusped 2-light north window with flat head and hood mould; stack to east. Interior 4-centred tower arch, with head banded in sandstone and limestone, 2 orders with convex mouldings, hood mould with foliage stops. Tower has pointed arched door to stair and framed ceiling. Nave has 3-bay roof of tie-beam on braces rising from limestone corbels, with principal rafters, collars with lower braces and upper collars to common rafters, with one row of purlins. 3-bay north arcade of marble columns on limestone plinths, with pointed arches; limestone inner order with banded outer order, hood moulds with ballflower stops. Cill string course also with foliage stops. All windows have banded sandstone and limestone rere-arches, and the south west window has rere-arch trumean and quatrefoil in the tympanum. Half-arch of 2 orders, outer one banded, between aisle and transept, rising from a foliage corble, with common rafter roof to transept with one row of purlins. Similar half-arch to organ chamber with carved angel stop. This arch has a Perpendicular style screen dated 1924, in memory of Reginald Pole Carew. Below the cill string in the main body of the church, the walls are faced in brick with one course painted, transept only panelled. Chancel arch has engaged marble shafts with limestone foliage capitals, 2 orders to arch with banded outer order, hood mould; steps to pulpit to south. 2-bay roof with arched-braces -and collars rising from vertical members on corbels, common rafters, one row of purlins and collar purlin. 2-bay similar narrower arcade to organ chamber, with marble pier; to north, the hood mould from the arcade is continued as a string course, with a stepped cills string to south. Engaged marble colonnette at east end of arcade. North aumbry with trefoil head and hood mould, south sedilia with cusped heads and cross finials, piscina on shaft with trefoil head. East window has marble shafts supporting inner order of banded stone, hood mould and cill string. Fittings: Octagonal limestone font in nave with Perpendicular style cover. 4 pews with carved ends in north transept, chancel has original pews with poppy head bench ends. Marble reredos with shafts to front arcading. Organ dated 1866. North aisle has painted north wall with geometric pattern and stylised flowers, chancel also has painted walls with scenes from the life of Christ. Fine set of stained glass in all windows. (Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970)
Listing NGR: SX4235756193
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing