Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANIETUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329212.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:33:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Neot
National Grid Reference:
SX 18605 67857


ST NEOT ST NEOT SX 16 NE 9/129 Church of St Anietus (formerly listed - as Parish Church of st Neot) GV I Parish church. C15, with C19 restoration. Granite ashlar. Slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials. Plan: Nave and chancel in one; north aisle with south porch and west tower. Perpendicular style. Nave: enclosed by aisles. Chancel: slightly advanced at the east end, with 4-light east window, with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. There is no plinth to the nave and chancel. North and aisle: of 5 bays, on hollow-chamfered plinth, with weathered moulded buttresses and diagonal buttresses. Small C19 gabled vestry attached to west bay. All 4-light windows to north, with cusped lights and flat head; at east end a doorway with cambered head and chamfered surround, C19 Gothic panelled door. Between the 2 windows to east, rood stair tower with pitched roof. 4-light east window with Y- tracery, cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould; same window to west. Single storey rubble lean-to in the angle between the north aisle and the tower. South aisle: of 5 bays, with porch in western bay; on moulded plinth with weathered butresses and diagonal buttresses, with embattled parapet and crocketted pinnacles between each bay. 5 windows, all with 4-centred arch, cusped lights, Y-tracery and hoodmould, with moulded string course above. The end bay to east has a 4-centred arched hollow-chamfered priest's door, with C19 Gothic panelled door. Slate tablet over with crest, to Richard Martyn, 1704. On buttress to east of door, slate sundial with gnomon dated 1682. Large 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. 3 slate ledger stones attached to east wall, to Mary Thomas, 1705, one unidentified, and one unidentified with Latin verses, dated 1705. 4-light west window as to south. South porch of 2 storeys, on hollow-chamfered plinth, with embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles and weathered string course. 4-centred arched south doorway with roll moulding, recessed spandrels with leaves, square hood mould. 2-light window above with ogee lights, chamfered with recessed surround. Interior of porch: has slate floor, stone benches to sides. The side walls have triple shafts forming 2 panels with a granite vaulted roof with moulded ribs and bosses. The inner doorway has 4-centred arch with roll mouldings and recessed spandrels, no hood mould. Holy water stoup to right. West tower of 3 stages, clasping buttresses surmounted by crocketted pinnacles, embattled parapet. Weathered string courses, no plinth. The west door has 4-centred arch with hood mould. West window replaced in C19 with 5 lights and intersecting tracery. Second stage to south has tall 2-light window with cusped lights and upper quatrefoil; clock at third stage all sides. Third stage has 3-light bell-openings with slate louvres and 4-centred arch with hood mould carried round as a string course. Interior: wall plaster removed, C19 tiled floor. Nave and aisles have C15 waggon roofs, ceiled with moulded ribs and bosses, C19 waggon roof to chancel. Tall plain 4-centred arch to tower, with imposts. C19 wooden screen across the chancel and the east end of the aisles. Nave has 6-bay north and south arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers with carved geometric abaci and 4-centred arches. At east and, the north arcade has a narrow 4-centred arched doorway to the north chapel, and an ogee cusped recess to side, possibly an Easter Sepulchre, with remains of wall painting above, of figures. The north aisle has a south piscina at east end. Squint through to north aisle from the sepulchre recess. North aisle has C19 lower and upper doors to the rood stair. The south aisle has a heavy studded door with strap hinges and rounded head, possibly of C16, stone newel stair on an S bend to the chamber over the porch; this has a rough granite floor, and granite ceiling of roughly hewn monoliths. Window hollow-chamfered internally. Fittings: Square stone font in nave with blank arcade to one side, panels of trefoils and quatrefoils to other sides, probably C14. C19 wooden pews and pulpit in nave, with poppy head bench ends in the chancel. Letter of thanks from Charles I, Sudeley Castle 1643, in north aisle. Marble tablet in south aisle, recording donation to St Neot poor by John Robins, 1828. Parish chest in porch chamber. Monuments in north aisle: slate ledger with incised nowy head with primitive cherub with wings, Richard Pomery, 1744; slate chest tomb with front panel of kneeling figures and upper panel of kneeling figures with crest and emblems of death, slate lid with inscription, to William Bere and family, 1610. In south aisle: marble tablet to Caroline Foot, 1813; marble tablet on slate ground with pediment and acroterial ornaments and draped urn, to William Dangar, 1831; marble tablet with pediment on slate ground, to Louisa Michell, 1879; marble tablet on slate ground with draped urn, by Bedford of London, to William Dangar, 1868; marble tablet to Samuel Thomas, 1792; marble tablet to Melicent Thomas, 1795. Glass: C15 and C16 stained glass, much restored by John Hedgeland in 1830, but still of high quality, with windows showing the Creation, the story of Noah, the storey of St Neot and representations of local families. For full descriptions, see sources. Sources: Radcliffe, E : Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX1849267850


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05230/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Anne Newell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].