CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1329230
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, VICARAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329230.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:28:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, VICARAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Erewash (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Eaton
National Grid Reference:
SK 36128 41504

Details

PARISH OF LITTLE EATON VICARAGE LANE SK 34 SE 1/72 (North Side) Church of St Paul GV II

Parish church. 1791, enlarged and remodelled 1837, enlarged 1851, restored 1869 by Giles & Brookhouse. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables. West tower, nave, large north aisle, chancel and north vestry. West tower of four stages divided by chamfered stringcourses. Clasping buttresses to west. West elevation has two semi-circular headed lancets with hoodmoulds. A similar lancet above and a small arrow slit above again. The north side has a flight of stone steps up to a semi-circular headed doorway. Arrow slit above. On the south side a semi-circular headed doorway with a stepped moulding and two roll mouldings. Hoodmould. Semi-circular headed lancet above and an arrow slit above again. Paired bell openings to all four sides, with nook shafts and cushion capitals. Circular opening above, all embraced by a semi-circular headed arch. Hoodmould. Battlemented parapet. The south side of the nave has two windows of paired semi-circular headed lights with a circle above, set within a larger arch. Small round arched lancet to right. Chancel south has two round-arched lancets with continuous hoodmould. Clasping buttresses at the east end. East window of three stepped round-arched lancets within a roll moulded super arch. Lean-to vestry has a 2-light chamfered mullion window. Large gabled north aisle, as big as the nave. East window similar to the main east window but unmoulded. The north side has a round-arched doorway with plank door. To the right a broad gabled north projection is all that survives of the 1791 building. It has one round-arched keyed window. West window similar to the aisle east window. Interior: north arcade of three round arches, circular piers and abaci, open trefoils in the spandrels. The nave has a boarded ceiling with exposed trusses with trefoil motifs. Similar roof in the north aisle. Stone font has a square bowl with incised motifs, on a circular base. Monuments: in the north aisle a gothic aedicule to John Tempest, died 1863, by J B Robinson of Derby. On the south wall a tablet to William Tempest, died 1842, by N Coulson. North gallery supported on two iron columns. Round-arched panels with painted commandments, either side of the aisle west window.

Listing NGR: SK3612841504

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
352275
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/16157/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr P. J. Nicholson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].