CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1334539
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, LONG LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334539.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:07:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, LONG LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Trusley
National Grid Reference:
SK 25208 38025

Details

SK 23 NE PARISH OF TRUSLEY LONG LANE 2/59 (South Side) Christ Church II

Church. 1859 by Evans of Hine and Evans of Nottingham, with tower and vestry added in 1874. Red brick with stone and Staffordshire blue brick dressings. Steeply pitched plain tile roofs, with diaper work to nave, and stone coped gables on moulded kneelers. Plinth with stone copings, continuous blue brick flush hoods and moulded eaves cornice in similar bricks. Four bay nave and two bay chancel with adjoining tower and vestry to north. West elevation has a stepped triple lancet window, each lancet with a trefoil head to centre and diagonal buttresses to either side. North elevation has four pairs of adjoining trefoil headed lancets with stepped buttresses between. To east is the three stage tower with blank first stage to the top of which is a moulded stringcourse and pairs of slit windows to each side, those to east and west now covered by clockfaces. Above again, to east and west faces, are single 3-light plate tracery, louvred bell openings linked by a continuous sill stringcourse, over which is steeply pitched saddleback roof with stone coped gables. Below, to east is the north vestry with a canted north elevation, each side with a single trefoil headed lancet and to the east is a pointed chamfered doorcase. The 3-light plate tracery east window has blue brick diaper work above and below, whilst the south elevation of the chancel has three trefoil headed lancets. South nave elevation has two pairs of adjoining trefoil headed lancets with buttress between to east, and south porch and similar pair of lancets to west. Gabled porch has double chamfered pointed doorcase with small buttresses to either side. Interior has double chamfered brick chancel arch with pierced timber soffit moulding, supported on column corbels with waterleaf capitals, also scissor truss roofs and plain contemporary pews. The chancel has cusped panelling to dado height and barleysugar balusters to altar rails. To north side of chancel is a large painted 1874 organ and to south side is a C20 marble pulpit. Contemporary stone font in nave with octagonal bowl. Stained glass to all chancel windows, those to the side c1863 and the east windows of 1874, also 1908 window to south side of nave.

Listing NGR: SK2520838025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82649
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11506/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].