CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1335804
Date first listed:
03-Apr-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335804.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 16:48:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Crosthwaite and Lyth
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SD 44607 91142

Details

CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH CHURCH TOWN SD 49 SW 9/4 Church of St Mary

II

Church. 1878. Rock-faced limestone with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel, canted apse, south transept and west tower. 4-bay nave and chancel has gabled buttresses, cornice, plain coped parapet and gable. 3-light pointed windows have double-cusped pointed lights and hoods. Entrance to north-west in shallow gabled porch. South-east transept has 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery; stack to east angle. Apse has coved cornice with Tudor flower ornament, 3-light window and single lights to angles have Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds with head stops and sill course. Gable cross-traceried light to west end, north of tower. 3-stage tower has weathered set back buttresses and cill, 2-light traceried west window, square traceried window to 2nd stage, and 2-light traceried and louvred bell openings, all with hoods and head stops. Top cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet with blind quatrefoils with escutcheons. Lead-clad pyramidal roof with wind vane. Interior has deep arch braced roof trusses with king pendants with longitudinal and lateral arch braces, hollow chamfered braces and purlins. Chancel has trusses with collars with brattishing, 2 trusses have hammer beams carved as angels flanking truss with pendants to collar, which continues as ridge piece to transept, rich mouldings to braces and purlins. Tower arch of 2 orders, hood with headstops, timber screen with stained glass to traceried openings. Octagonal font with carved panels and capital to shaft. Niche in west wall has bust of W. Pearson (a friend of Wordsworth) died 1856. Monument to Dickinson family, 1803 by Webster of Kendal. Organ in transept. Octagonal timber pulpit on stone base has blind tracery. Open tracery to choir stalls. Apse has panelled east wall painted with symbols of Passion, angels, the Blessed Virgin and St Peter, and scenes from the Passion. Brass altar rail on enriched supports. C19 stained glass to east and west windows, late C20 glass to 2 south windows.

Listing NGR: SD4460791142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77092
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/05133/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CJ Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].