CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1338017

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1338017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:46:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Little Maplestead

National Grid Reference: TL 82248 33997

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 83 SW LITTLE MAPLESTEAD CHURCH STREET 4/137 Church of St. John the Baptist 21.6.62

II*

Parish Church, originally a chapel of The Knights of St. John of Jerusalem - Knights Hospitallers. Circa 1340. Largely rebuilt 1849-55. South Vestry and West Porch late C19. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. Although practically rebuilt the church is of great interest on account of the plan. It has one of the five remaining circular naves in England. The Chancel has a semi-circular apse with traces of the blocked East window. There are two C19 windows in north and south walls of two lights with quatrefoils over and C19 stained glass. C19 two centred arched door to south vestry. In the north wall between the windows are traces of a blocked doorway. There is no chancel arch. The round Nave with an arcade of six bays. The two centred arches are of slightly wave moulded orders. The columns are each of three filleted shafts divided by V shaped projections with C19 capitals and bases (all much restored). From each pier springs a two-centred arch which crosses the aisle and rests on carved foliage corbels on the outer wall. The outer wall has four Cl9 windows, longer but otherwise matching those of the Chancel. West doorway possibly C14 restored Cl9. Of two chamfered orders the west face carved with panels containing quatrefoil flowers. Label carved with upright and reversed triangles, each with trefoil flowers. Arcade walls support a Cl9 bell turret with a tiled pyramidal roof. Gabled dormers to main roof and small sound louvres to weatherboarded bell turret. Iron weathercock to apex. Cl9 enclosed west porch, with 4 light windows to north and south, flint plinth and boarded front. Vertically boarded double doors. Font. Probably C11. Limestone. Rough, originally a square bowl, with angles cut away to form an octagon. Two scroll volutes to two faces, two rounded arches to one face. Off centre saltire to the fourth face. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8224833997

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114347

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing