SEZINCOTE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1341231
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
SEZINCOTE HOUSE, GL56 9AW

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEZINCOTE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341231.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 18:06:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEZINCOTE HOUSE, GL56 9AW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Sezincote
National Grid Reference:
SP 17167 31080

Details

SP 13 SE, 4/108

SEZINCOTE, SEZINCOTE PARK, Sezincote House

25.08.60

GV

I

Country house. 1800-1805; by Samuel Pepys Cockerell, Thomas Daniell and Humphry Repton for Sir Charles Cockerell. Orange ashlar limestone, slate roof with copper dome. Mixture of Mogul and Hindu elements of architecture. Inverted T-shaped plan with canted 2-storey bay window/subsidiary entrance left and orangery (q.v.) attached to rear of main body curving away left. Wall curving away to right from opposite corner of main body to tent room (q.v.). Main body 2 storeys. Symmetrical facade with central 4-centred arch to full height of facade, engaged square columns with sunken panelled decoration to either side. Engaged octagonal corner turrets. 3:1:3:1:3-windowed; 12-pane sashes to first floor with moulded reveals and curved hoods with engaged pineapple-shaped finials and foliate decoration with pendant engaged pineapple finials below sills. Reeded quarter columns with inset and cusped shell-like hoods flank windows to either side of central arch. Ground-floor windows; plate-glass sashes. Central double door flanked by engaged columns with single lights on either side. Balcony above with cast-iron railing. Central sash window/door onto balcony flanked by 4-pane sashes. Roof of main body: central dome with finial set back in centre of low rectangular tower. Single stacks with moulded caps at each corner of tower linked by cast-iron railings. Pointed-arched blind arcading below railing. Cast-iron railing on roof feature left of tower. Parapet at eaves decorated with arcading in reversed relief with chaja (projecting cornice with deep brackets below). Small octagonal and square windows and lozenge decorations in relief between brackets. 4 open-sided minarets at corners of main body with copper domes and finials.

INTERIOR: C18 classical style interior. Decorated cast-iron girders support staircase representing an early example of this type of construction in a domestic context. Subsidiary features: decorative cast-iron railing comprising trellis of semicircles in front of house; 2 cast-iron mounting blocks either side of entrance matching railing; ashlar retaining wall surmounted by similar cast-iron railing with intervening ashlar piers with stepped caps and moulded copper finials curves away from rear left corner of house to tent room. Wall and railing about 6m in height.

(David Verey: The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds (1979); and C. Hussey: English Country Houses: Late Georgian , 1800-1840 (1958))

Listing NGR: SP1716731080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128746
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hussey, C, English Country Houses Late Georgian 1800 to 1840, (1958)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08139/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].