THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1341478
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCHFIELD ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341478.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2021 at 23:42:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCHFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewin
National Grid Reference:
TL 26848 14478

Details

TEWIN CHURCHFIELD ROAD TL 21 SE (North side) Tewin 5/135 The Old Rectory 20.10.52 (formerly listed as The Old Rectory & Tithe Barn) GV II

House. Early C18 for Rev. C. Proby incorporating late C16 and C17 range. Red brick. Timber frame to earlier range, part brick cased and cement rendered. Hipped tiled roofs. 5 bay 2 storey and attic main range with surviving 2 storey cross range of earlier L-shaped building extending to rear right, earliest bays to rear. C18 facade has slightly projecting central bay with entrance; 6 panelled door with 4 raised fielded panels, semi-circular traceried fanlight, Doric pilastered doorcase with bracketed open pediment. Glazing bar sashes with moulded flush frames with blind boxes. Dentilled brick cornice and pediment over central bay. Stone coped parapet. 3 box dormers with moulded heads, outer 2 light casements, central 6 pane sash. Left end ground floor French windows and a first floor sash. To rear of left bay is an extruded stack with offsets. Set back slightly to right is C17 range, double hipped roof to front, that to left incorporated into main range with a large early stack originally cross axial with an offset, extended to rise as an internal end stack on main range, rebuilt cap. To right front a first floor flush frame glazing bar sash. 2 bay right end on this C17 range has stock brick base, ground floor flush frame 5 light small pane casement. First floor glazing bar sash. Projecting slightly with a separate roof are 2 earlier bays to rear. Ground floor: blocked entrance now a 2 light casement, C18 surround with brackets to a pedimented hood with a Sun Fire Insurance Marker. To right 2 and 3 light flush frame casements in red brick. First floor two 16 pane flush frame sashes. Rear gable end exposed tie beam, external C18 stack with multiple offsets. To rear a low hipped outshut on main range with a shallow early C20 extension, 1 hipped dormer. Interior: central dog leg staircase with column balusters, moulded ramped handrail. Earlier range has ground floor exposed framing with jowled posts, a curved brace in walling, first floor panelled rooms; early C17 vertical panels with 5 ornamentally moulded panels over fireplace, early C18 bolection moulded panelling in second room, all reset, probably from Tewin House, demolished 1807. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol.2, pt.2, 1903, p.L69: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL2684814478

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356245
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, (1903)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].