Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342408.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:11:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
North Runcton
National Grid Reference:
TF 64650 15901


NORTH RUNCTON THE GREEN TF 61 NW 4/67 Church of All Saints 15.8.60 I Parish church, 1713, by Henry Bell. Rendered, plain tiles; base of carstone with stone dressings. West tower with attached vestries north and south, nave and aisles in one, chancel. 3 stage tower: rusticated quoins to first and second stage, angle pilasters to third stage; parapet with urn finials at angles, fleche of white painted wood surmounted by gold ball and weather vane. Semi-circular west doorway with keystone, flanking Tuscan half columns with pediment above, double leaved door with leaded fanlight above. Second stage with north and south face each with leaded oeil-de-boeuf, sundial to south below bell opening; keyed semi-circular bell openings with wooden Y tracery. Single storey vestries to north and south set back, each with high parapet having blank pediment, each with segmental headed fixed leaded light under blank pediment facing north and south. South nave rusticated at angles; 3 bays, central bay breaking forward under pediment containing sundial, rusticated quoins; bays 1 and 3 with segmental headed lights each under a keyed oeil-de-boeuf with scalloped leaded pivoted light; central bay with semi-circular headed light having wide continuous margin lights with radiating glazing bars. North nave as south but without sundial and with deep shaped buttresses at angles. Chancel of carstone and sandstone with limestone cap to plinth; red brick pilasters at angles; south chancel with two red brick pilasters, central organ bay of 1894 to match having pedimented gable to south with shaped kneelers over brick pilasters, semi- circular headed lights. East chancel with continuous red brick frieze. Central opening as central nave flanked by red brick pilasters, gable with red brick semi-circular hood mould above central light, gable cross. North chancel with two brick pilasters flanking central light as east chancel. Large lead covered vault c.1837 with limestone slab walls within angle of north chancel and nave buttress, shields of Gurney and Gurney impaling Hay. Interior: large dome above nave with ribs of overlapping leaves with cherubs; 4 tapering Ionic columns on tall bases supporting dome, capitals with egg and dart echinus and festoons between volutes; panelled ceiling around dome outside columns; semi-circular arch to tower with clasping Ionic pilasters having capitals as to nave, small egg and dart moulding above arch, arch with panelled reveals. Tripartite chancel arch with pairs of Ionic columns in depth in antis; columns with capitals as to nave, hood moulding and panelled reveals as to tower arch; central arch taller and keyed. East wall and sanctuary returns with panelling designed by Henry Bell, 1684, for Church of St. Margaret Kings Lynn: fluted and gilded Corinthian pilasters under gilded cornice articulate painted canvas panels above raised wooden panels, panels painted by Lamponi depict the evangelists; reredos recessed across east window with painting of risen Christ. Vase turned rails; C17 table with bulbous legs and strapwork frieze, top extended. Central candelabra of 1713 with two tiers and cherub; a smaller candelabra at either end of both aisles; slender grey marble font with small bowl and vase stem. Mural monuments of 1727 and 1720 north and 1718 and c.1720 south, all of convex cartouches with achievements, cherubs and swags; recess in west wall of south aisle containing mural monument of 1755. Under tower an achievement of George I dated 1719, wood, with flanking seated angels in fretwork. The former church was destroyed by the collapse of the tower 15 August 1701; Henry Bell, architect, lived in the parish.

Listing NGR: TF6465015901


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01829/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].