Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342429.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:54:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 69623 27590


SANDRINGHAM WEST NEWTON TF 62 NE 2/64 Church of SS Peter & Paul 15.8.60 II* Parish church, medieval, restored 1881 by A. Blomfield, (plaque in south aisle records "THIS . CHURCH . WAS . RESTORED . AND . THE . NORTH . AISLE . REBUILT . BY . ALBERT . EDWARD . PRINCE . OF . WALES . LORD . OF . THE . MANOR . AND . PATRON . OF . THE . LIVING . AD MDCCCLXXXI"). Mainly carstone rubble with some flint and Sandringham sandstone, limestone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one, south aisle, south porch, C19 additions to north. Unbuttressed 3 stage embattled tower with crocketted pinnacles of 1881 at angles; Y tracery of west window renewed, to right a cusp ogee headed niche; lancet to 2nd stage south, fretwork clock face of 1907 and many putlog holes to each face. Y tracery. bell openings. String course below parapet with gargoyle to each face. South nave of shell carstone, no clerestorey, south aisle of carstone and flint with eaves courses in shell limestone, lead roof; renewed windows to east and west of 2 lights under a quatrefoil, 2 large openings to south extant c1820 each of 4 cusped lights under a square hood mould. Gabled south porch with C19 roof across south aisle, shell carstone to south facade, wide 4-centred arch with continuous moulding; small south doorway with continuous ovolo moulding. Chancel with roof line slightly lower than nave, some galletted carstone and some flint; gable parapet and cross; C19 east window of 3 lights and panel tracery; priest's door to south. 2-light flanking windows with panel tracery inserted 1881. Additions of 1881 to north in shell carstone; vestry and organbay each with 2-light panel tracery openings; aisle with lead roof, one 3-light window and blank doorway. Interior: 4 bay arcade north and south of double ovolo moulded arches and octagonal piers, bases of piers to south splayed, bay to east wider with double chamfered arches; no chancel arch. Tall tower arch with continuous double chamfer, round shafts supporting hollow chamfered moulding to arch; fragment of ¼ moulding to arris of south window. Roof of 1881, nave with arch braced collars and wind braces, chancel with waggon roof. C15 slender octagonal font with blank shields to faces and blank trefoil headed arches to stem faces; tall C15 crocketted font cover to fit, possibly cut down from church of St. Mary Magdelene Sandringham q.v. 2/47. Medieval coffin lid with cross decoration to west of south aisle. Mosaic reredos of 1881 depicting wheat and vines.

Listing NGR: TF6962327590


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05765/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank H. P. Wadeson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].