CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1343974
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343974.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:04:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Eastling
National Grid Reference:
TQ 96522 56555

Details

TQ 95 NE EASTLING SCHOOL LANE (north side)

4/13 Church of St. Mary

24.1.67 GV II*

Parish Church. C13 nave and chancel with C12 details, C14 chapel, restored 1855-6 by R.C.Hussey. Flint with plain tiled roofs and slate spire. Nave and aisles, chancel with south chapel, south-western tower and west porch. Reset west C12 doorway, the moulded surrounds with railhead and keel roll on attached and clasped shafts with acanthine capitals and billet moulded hood-mould. C19 flint porch. Two storey south-west tower with heavy offset buttresses, that to south-east rebuilt in brick. Round-headed belfry lights. Partially restored C15 Perpendicular fenestration except C14 bar tracery windows in south chapel and 2 C13 lancets in chancel north wall with 2 blocked quatrefoils in chancel east wall. North nave aisle entirely C19, with vestry to north west. Interior: nave with 3 bay arcade and 1 unarcaded western bay. The chamfered arches carried on round piers were re-constructed by Hussey, either re-using or copying exactly the moulded capitals, different in each case. C19 roof of 4 trussed crown posts. Double chamfered C19 chancel arch. South aisle with C14 chamfered arch to south chapel. South chapel of St. Katherine with 3 tie- beams exposed in roof, and 2 bay double hollow chamfered arcade to chancel, on hollowed octagonal piers. Chancel wall heavily battered and thicker in west bay, with 2 C13 lancets to north, and C13 roll-moulded reveal to C19 inserted east window. Waggon roof. Fittings: C13 trefoil-headed triple sedilia and piscina in chancel on colonnettes, deeply moulded capitals and mouldings under continuous hood mould. Double aumbry on north chancel wall, and 4 chamfered trefoil headed recesses on carved corbels and brackets, possibly choir or musicians' stalls. C19 box pews with brass triple candle holders, and C19 font. Late C17 wooden parish chest. Glass: 1863 in chancel lancet by Powell and Sons. Monuments: in chancel, wall plaque to William Wickens, d.1718. Black rectangular field with latin inscription, with white marble surround and cartouche over, on base with cherub's head and motto. In the south chapel, standing wall monument to Martin James, d.1592. A knight and 2 sons kneel opposite a reading desk, the wife and 2 daughters face them. Architectural surround with cornice on Corinthian columns, carrying obelisks and central achievement. The whole carved on small but detailed scale. [See BOE KENT II, 1983 (p306).)

Listing NGR: TQ9626356518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
176417
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 306

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12167/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Poole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].