CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1344676

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:14:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Burtle

National Grid Reference: ST 39533 43291

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURTLE CP STATION ROAD (West side) ST34SE EDINGTON BURTLE 6/10 Church of St Philip and St James - - II

Anglican parish church. 1838-9 by Richard Carver, the County Architect and Surveyor. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slender buttresses with offsets, coped verges, slate roof; to east a cruciform finial; to west a polygonal stone bellcote with embattled parapet and ribbed stone spirelet with poppy finial, weathervane, each alternating face with bell-opening, wooden louvres. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. Decorated style. Three bay nave, 2-light windows with simple stone tracery, west end with narrow door opening, above a blank 4-light stone mullioned and transomed window. Simple porch, plain outer door opening, flagstone floor, inner plank door with good iron hinges. Small plain vestry. Single bay chancel, 2-light square-headed windows to north and south; 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Plastered interior on flagstone, tile and encaustic tile floors; plastered elliptical shaped ceiling to nave; plastered wagon ceiling to chancel; bold ornamental cornices; plastered chancel arch. The fittings are contemporary, including west gallery, pews, font, reader, pulpit, decalogue plaque, altar rails and choir stalls. Jacobean coffin stool. C19 wheeled bier. Stained glass to west window of 1864; other windows with plain square paned leaded lights. Brass memorial plaque of 1892. (Colvin H M, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST3953343291

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269449

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

End of official listing