CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1345127
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345127.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 12:01:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Litton
National Grid Reference:
ST 59382 54702

Details

ST55SE LITTON CP LITTON VILLAGE VILLAGE 7/64 Church of St Mary

21.9.60

GV I

Anglican Parish Church. C13, C14, C15; mid C19 restoration and added north aisle, further early C20 work. Coursed and squared rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, coped verges, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south chancel chapel, south porch, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular. Two stage tower, bold set off, angle buttresses, embattled parapet, corner pinnacles, stair turret; large gargoyles; beneath the parapet a series of carved corbels, sore with foliate decoration, sole carved as heads; angels on north and south sides with carved arms, Prebendary Richard Harewell 1366-1435 and Thomas Paulton, Archdeacon of Taunton 1395-1416; 2-light square headed bell chamber openings with louvres, lancet to west, 3-light west window, west door. Three bay nave; 3 bay south aisle, 3-light windows and a 2-light window with flowing tracery to west. Continuous south chapel, single bay; aisle and . chapel with parapet and coping. Conforming south porch; diagonal buttresses, parapet and coping, inside benched on flagstone floor, stoup. Three bay gabled north aisle, 3-light windows in neo-Perpendicular style. Short single bay chancel, 3-light east window. Interior scraped on flagstone floor. Nave with restored arch braced collar bear roof, principals C15/C16; C14/C15 lean to roof to south aisle and chapel, moulded ribs; plaster ceiling to north aisle and chancel. Simple chamfered tower arch; chancel arch and arcade to south aisle and chapel all in similar Perpendicualr style, piers of 4-hollows section; C19 north aisle arcade. Hagioscope. Blocked C13 window to chancel, cusped rere arch. Early piscina; octagonal Perpendicular font with enriched panels, fine coeval tester. C15 pews with traceried ends, some good copies; altar rails and pulpit Jacobean. C19 box pew, lectern and organ. Early bells. C18 wall monument to south aisle, early C19 wall monument. Late C19 stained glass to east window, remainder of openings leaded and plain. (Murray, Litton Guide, undated; Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5938054703

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268083
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Murray, , Litton Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01456/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ulick Palmer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].