CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345311
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345311.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:27:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Trudoxhill
National Grid Reference:
ST 74921 43784

Details

ST 74 SW TRUDOXHILL CP Congregational chapel

6/142

11.3.68

GV II*

Meeting-house, converted from house. Dated 1699; converted 1717; C19 alterations. Coursed Doulting stone rubble with traces of rendering and dressed stone quoins. Clay plain tile roof, gabled to left with parapet and hipped to right. PLAN : Narrow rectangular plan with entrance under gallery at the east end and lean-to staircase wing and later vestry project at east end of south [rear]side. When converted from house to meeting-house in 1717, floors, ceilings and partitions were removed and a gallery was built at the east end; in 1898 a schoolroom was built at the west end, replacing what appears, in an 1850 drawing of the meeting-house, to be a stable. EXTERIOR: 2-storey facade [internally single storey]. 4-bay north front, the left bay slightly splayed back following curve of the road; small 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion windows with leaded panes, top panes Gothic; moulded stone string-course above ground floor windows; datestone between centre two first floor windows with raised lettering -'N.R.A.1699' [Robert and Ann Newport]. Single-storey schoolroom on right with 4-pane sash and panelled double-doors with overlight and dressed stone surrounds. Left [east] return with moulded stone doorway with flush-panelled door, 12-pane sash above and outshut on left with small single-light moulded stone window and integral stack. INTERIOR: Open to the roof and with plastered walls; roof ceiled in 1776, but principal rafters exposed. Gallery at east end supported on iron post, its front with three large bolection-moulded panels separated by pilasters. Gallery stairs with splat balusters and square newels. Early C18 panelled pulpit at west end also with splat balustrade to stairs. Complete set of box-pews installed in 1847; gallery seating after 1853. NOTE: The building was built in 1699 by Robert Newport as a private house. The Presbyterian society, formed in the C17, converted the house in 1717 to a meeting-house. SOURCES: [1] RCHME, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in South-West England, pp.197 and 198. [2] McGarvie, M., Notes on the Congregational Chapel, Trudoxhi1l.





Listing NGR: ST7492143784

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266840
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)
Other
McGarvie, M, Notes on the Congregational Chapel, Trudoxhill,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/07066/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].