This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1345487



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Frome

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266169

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5363


Nos 2 (The Chantry) and 2A (The Hermitage)

ST 7747 NE 10/61 22.7.49 GV II*

2. One building, said to have been the Marquess of Bath's town house. Late C17. Rubble walls, pantile roofs. 2½ storeys. 3 gables with glazing bar sashes in gables. 7 windows spaced 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1, sashes in plain architraves with beaded edges, glazing bars. Circa 1770 panelled door with cross lower panels and cusped centre panels, bracketed pediment. Later plain doorway to right hand with studded C17 door. Cellar door below left hand window. Important rear elevation: 2 hipped projections, the right hand one 2 storeys, 2 windows, rendered. The left hand one is 2½ storeys with mansard roof. Segmental headed dormer with glazing bar sash window. Below is ashlar front with 2 storey angled bay and chamfered quoins, windows in bay are glazing bar sashes in architraves with keys. It also has traceried fanlight to door. Back door of No 2A has stop moulded ogee surround with to left a late C17 2-light ogee moulded mullion window. Interior: the 'priest's hole' is a small barrel vaulted chamber off entrance hall of No 2 with fine panelled door behind which is an C18 segment headed kitchen fire- place. The interior of No 2 was remodelled circa 1770 when a bay extension was added to rear, staircase with heavy moulded handrail and carved cut string may be earlier; it has a fine display cabinet in room to east of kitchen. Bay window room to No 2A has mahogany doors (only one is original) and enriched ceiling cornice. Room above has bed recess with flanking powder cupboards. No 2A also retains part of a winder stair (up to 2nd floor from 1st floor) blocked stair window; heavy balusters across landing.

Listing NGR: ST7765047846

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST7765047846


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 01:04:26.

End of official listing