This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1347370



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rushden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162347

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


RUSHDEN JULIANS TL 33 SW 7/24 Julians 9.6.52 GV II* Country house. c.1605 for W. Stone. Refronted and remodelled c.1710 for A. Meetkerke, altered early C19. Again refronted, remodelled and extended 1937-9 for Col. R. Cooper. Red brick, largely cement rendered. Portland stone dressings. Tiled roof. Neo-Georgian Style. 2 storeys and attics. 2:3:2 front with centre breaking forward. Plinth, angle quoins. Central entrance: paired 8 panelled doors, Ionic pedimented doorcase. Early C18 thick glazing bar sashes in reveals with C20 architraves. First floor centre, 9 panes, lugged architrave with scrolled jambs. Central pediment with Meetkerke arms in cartouche with putti and swags. Cornice with coped parapet over outer bays. Roof hipped to front, 2 light segmental headed dormers at each end. Central valley has main stack and tall C20 clock turret, round arched openings to octagonal belfry, copper ogee head with weathervane. Left end: projecting at angle with front is evidence of C18 refronting in an earlier section of wall with 2 offsets. Projecting again is 2 storey 4 bay secondary entrance elevation. Large door with integral semi-circular fanlight, rendered surround. Scattered 1, 2 and 4 light casements and a sash. Moulded eaves. Right end is 3 bays, glazing bar sashes. Central entrance, half glazed door in reveal with early C18 pseudo-Ionic pedimented timber doorcase, removed from front. Attached to rear and extending to right is a C20 5 bay 1 storey music room with tall 18 pane architraved sashes, parapet to hipped roof, central round headed windows in both ends, extruded stack to rear. Rear elevation is largely C18 red brick. 3 storeys. 3 bays to left project slightly. Ground floor: entrance to left, early C19 canted bay to right. First floor: large round-headed staircase sash with gauged brick head. 2 sashes with gauged brick flat arched heads. Plat band to second floor with three 2 light small pane casements. Coped parapet. To right irregular fenestration, stack at angle. Attached to rear left a lower 1 and 2 storey kitchen range, square on plan with a hipped roof. Segmental headed 2 and 3 light casements and a sash. Ridge stacks. Passageway through to rear. External stack with offsets on left end which has an entrance. Right end and rear to garden is 1 storey, an entrance with a leaded semi-circular fanlight, scattered casements and a horizontal sliding sash, dentilled brick eaves. 2 light dormer with a moulded flat head. Interior: early C18 dog-leg staircase, barley twist and fluted colonnette balusters arranged 2 to 1, fluted colonnette newels, open string with cheek pieces, moulded ramped handrail, dado panelling. Early C18 dog-leg secondary staircase with slightly bulbous balusters, closed string, moulded handrail. Late C18 panelling and columnar screen in dining room. Neo-Georgian 'hall'. Julians was formerly known as Rushden Place. (East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Transactions, Vol. 4, pt. 1, 1908-9: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Country Life, 20 and 27/6 and 4/7/47: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3079232548

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeology Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeology Society, , Vol. 4, (1908-9)
'Country Life' in 20 June, (1947)
'Country Life' in 4 July, (1947)
'Country Life' in 27 June, (1947)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 30792 32548


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 01:52:51.

End of official listing