WYMONDLEY BURY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1347446
Date first listed:
27-May-1968
Statutory Address:
WYMONDLEY BURY, RAILWAY SIDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYMONDLEY BURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347446.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:52:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
WYMONDLEY BURY, RAILWAY SIDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wymondley
National Grid Reference:
TL 21678 27074

Details

WYMONDLEY RAILWAY SIDINGS TL 2127 Little Wymondley

11/157 Wymondley Bury 27.5.68 GV I

Manor house, now a farmhouse. Early C14 aisled hall house, floor and chimney inserted in hall in C16, brick cased and W wing after 1908. Timber frame, cased in red brick, steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys U-shaped building facing N on a secluded moated site. Wings extend to rear. Aisled construction of 3 bays, the W bay only floored from the beginning, and a 2-storey unaisled E crosswing. 'Raised aisle' construction with truncated arcade posts in open truss carried on transverse beam as at Warden's Hall at Merton College, Oxford. Crown post roofs above. Hall of 2 bays with large stack built in E bay leaving a cross-passage behind it. Parlour is storeyed W bay, ground floor of E wing has C16 service doorways but fine solar on 1st floor. N front has low eaves to central part, 2 storeys E gabled wing, and 2 storeys and attics W wing. Large internal chimney rises through roofslope. Entrance beside E wing by old studded plank door in round arched entrance. Rectangular bay window to RH, shallow canted bay to E wing, 2 small gabled dormers on roofslope and large one over bay window, 3-lights leaded casements to 1st floor. Large projecting chimney on E side of E wing, and internal chimney to S extension of that wing. Bell under timber hood on W wall of W wing. Interior has exposed framework of the aisled hall with herringbone pattern timber infill to close-spaced studs at upper and lower ends of hall. Cellar below W bay with alcoves in walls. Heavy C16 fireplace beam in hall has chamfered and roll mouldings. Recessed with shouldered lintels at 2 levels in back of fireplace. Hall floor carried on 2 chamfered longitudinal parallel beams with hollow stops. Massive arcade posts with hollow moulded chin to jowls and square-section straight braces. Moulded caps and bases to the truncated posts of the open truss. Transverse beam is a C16 replacement. Hall central crown-post octagonal with moulded cap and base. Plain crown-posts in end walls. Decorated crown-post in 2-bays E wing. W bay of hall range hipped with gablet. The W wall of the W bay closed by passing braces from aisle wall to tie-beam. Mercer comments that the ambiguous function of the ends in conjunction with the structural details suggests an early date for the building. Mr. Farris says that the documents suggest this is the house called Somerhalle erected after 1373 and before 1400. (RCHM (1911)149: VCH (1912)189: Eric Mercer English Vernacular Houses London (1975)171-1: Pevsner (1977)243: RCHM Typescript: inf Mr. Farris).

Listing NGR: TL2167827074

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162769
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 189
Mercer, E, English Vernacular Houses, (1975), 170-1
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 243
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].