HUNSDON HOUSE TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1347687
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
HUNSDON HOUSE TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH, EASTWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HUNSDON HOUSE TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347687.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:09:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
HUNSDON HOUSE TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH, EASTWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hunsdon
National Grid Reference:
TL 41904 12744

Details

TL 41 SW HUNSDON EASTWICK ROAD (east side)

2/13 Hunsdon House to E of Parish Church 4.12.51

GV I

Country House. Mid C15 moated brick tower house of Sir William Oldhall; altered 1527-34 for Henry VIII; altered and extended to W by Carey family in first half of C17; W parts demolished by Josias Nicolson c1745 and moat filled in c1788; raised and extensively rebuilt, and replanned with main entrance at E, by Nicolson Calvert 1805-11 in castellated form; interior remodelled, windows altered and elaborate cast iron verandah added on S c1861 for James Wylie. A large rectangular red brick block, of 3 storeys and cellars, with low 2 storeys service wing extending to W looking into a walled yard with 2 storeys crenellated NW gate house and octagonal 2 storeys SW tower. The main block has 2 parallel hipped slate roofs concealed behind an embattled parapet, and large, pointed, diagonal buttresses at each corner. The broad, projecting, 3 storeys, E porch appears to have had similar buttresses removed. A square, brick, stair- turret projects in the angle on the N side and runs up above the parapet. The exterior of the block has been refaced extensively but at the W end, and on the return on the N wall up to a rectangular bay, the old brickwork has been only disguised by red mortar tuck-pointed in white, which has weathered to reveal the old walls. These are characterised by a broad stone string at 1st floor level, diapering in black headers above this, tall stone arrow-slits often set at the angle of the buttress and wall, and small square stone windows, now blocked. The present large windows have presumably obliterated others. The top storey and parapet above a hollow moulded string course are later additions. The stone arrow-slits have ogee-cusped expansions at top, bottom and half-height. They are copied elsewhere around the building using brick for the plain vertical jambs. The present C19 windows have plaster surrounds and 2-light or 3-light moulded wooden mullioned and transomed windows. Of the oldest period are the cellars under the E parts, notably 1 with a lofty pointed arched brick vault covering 48'6" by 18'6" lying N-S with a doorway into the base of an octagonal garderobe shaft Elsewhere are brick masses presumably to support the 100' great tower of Oldhall's house described by William of Worcester in 1478 (Itineraries ed and trans J H Harvey (1969) Oxford). The very high Ground floor rooms have fine Classical interiors of the later C19 with modelled plaster ceilings, cornices and friezes, moulded woodwork, and marble fire surrounds. A heavy, triple arched, 2 storeys screen of marbled columns with astylar caps gives onto the stairwell. Chimneypiece in dining room dated 1882. Lintel built into garden gateway to W inscribed 'HH 1593'. S side of octagonal SW tower a summerhouse with pointed arched openings. A house of the greatest historical interest (Pevsner (1977) 210). It incorporates fragmentary remains of 1 of the most important medieval houses in the county, the architectural history of which has recently been traced by the RCHM (Typescript). A royal residence with extensive parks for hunting, forming the centre of the honour of Hunsdon from 1532 and associated with all the Tudor monarchs from Henry VIII until Elizabeth granted it to her cousin Sir Henry Carey, Lord Hunsdon in 1558/9. The house has a suite of C19 interiors of special interest. It forms a picturesque historic group with the parish church. (RCHM (1911) 128: VCH (1912) 324-5: Kelly (1914 166- 7: Pevsner (1977) 210: HLHS (1979) 9-12, 40-1: RCHM (Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4190412744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159955
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 324-5
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 210
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914), 166-7
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].