Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347742.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:05:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


TL 3533 BUCKLAND BURY WEIR LANE (West side) Buckland

5/36 Church of St. Andrew 22.2.67 (C of E) (Redundant Churches Fund)


Parish church. Chancel, nave and former S Lady Chapel C14 (Salmon in his History of Hertfordshire 1725 recorded the inscription in a chancel window 'Nicholai de Bakeland qui istanc Ecclesiam cum Capella Beatiae Mariae construxit A o Domini 1348'), tower c.1400, S aisle and S porch late C15. Restored 1848, 1875. N organ chamber/vestry added and porch restored c.1880, exteriors of nave and aisle restored 1893. Flint rubble walls with stone dressings, coursed facing to tower with some external plaster remaining, uncoursed flints mixed with stone to nave and aisle, knapped flint facing to porch. Steep red roofs of machine made tiles but metal covering to S aisle and spire to pyramidial tiled tower roof. A small church with tall narrow nave, chancel on different alignment, a broad S aisle incorporating the lower part of the E and S walls of the former Lady Chapel, large square tower embattled with diagonal buttresses, and C15 S porch. Blocked C15 N door, and W door in tower. Chancel has C19 3-light E window in C15 style, 2 2-light C14 traceried windows in S wall, a contemporary doorway between, a lowside window at W end, and a string course at sill height of the upper windows continued as a hood to the lower openings. Chancel arch with 2 chamfered orders with moulded label. Jambs have tall attached shafts and rolls with moulded bell capitals and renewed waterholding bases. Wide arch on N has angel musicians as stops to hood mould and stencilled, pine-cased organ central below. Vestry with fireplace, in space behind organ. 2-bay C19 plastered waggon roof with arch braced principals springing from stone corbels, similar demi-principals springing from embattled wallplate and moulded longitudinal ribs. Encaustic tile 'carpet' to raised step at E end similar tiles among floor slabs. 3-bays nave with 3 2-light tall C14 traceried windows in N wall with head stops to hood moulds inside and outside. C15 blocked N doorway with moulded 3-centred arch. It is under a square head externally with a plain round-headed stoup on E side. Corbels for rood loft contemporary with C14 windows and upper door from former rood stair on S wall (lower door in S aisle but steps gone). 3 bay S arcade inserted C.1480 with carved angel W impost corbel to wider W bay. Delicate moulded orders springing at mid-height from deeply chamfered piers, with capitals only to inner order of each arch. Buried in E respond is E jamb of earlier archway, matching the mouldings of the chancel arch, opening into the former chapel or S transept. There is a square blocked squint from the aisle in the later work here. 3 bay plastered C19 waggon roof with moulded and embattled tie beams and arched braced trusses on deeply moulded possibly original wallplates. 3-bays broad S aisle has trefoil piscina and string course below E window both in the E bay, remaining from the C14 Lady Chapel. 3-light C15 cinquefoil windows at E, W, and 2 in S wall. C15 S door with external 4-centred arch of 2 moulded orders under a square head with traceried spandrels. Medieval wooden door. Contemporary fine C15 almost flat timber roof with heavy flat joists, moulded members as wallplates, central purlin, principal and sub-principal cross-beams. Carved foliate bosses along centre at junctions with cross-members. Sub-principals have plain length next S wall for the wooden angels with wings displayed normal in this area in C15 but now missing here. Dominating 3-stage battlemented W tower with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth and string courses at each level. Tall tower arch of 3 orders, moulded to nave, with caps and bases renewed. W door with moulded jambs, pointed arch and grotesque label stops. W window of 2 cinquefoil lights and traceried head renewed. Belfry windows of 2 traceried lights. S porch parapeted with a 2-light small trefoil window in each side, diagonal buttresses, depressed 3-centred arched entrance under a square head and a moulded label with decayed head-stops. Small niche with cinquefoil arch over entrance. Fittings: Barnack stone font roughly recut on moulded clunch base; organ 1881 by Henry Jones of Fulham Rd London; drum type C19 panelled wooden pulpit with trefoil piercing on circular moulded fat stone base; 4 C19 lettered and illuminated boards on N wall of nave with Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer; 3 groups of brasses set on wall behind the alter to Alice Botelet d. 1451, William Langley, rector, d.1478, John Gyll d. 1499, with children. Wall monuments in S aisle in white alabaster to Susan Clerke d. 1634 with epitaph, bust and small Mannerist flanking figures; in tower John Clarke d.1772 signed by John Richards of Bishopsgate, a big epitaph with bust above an asymmetrical Rococo bellied cartouche with inscription; Edward Clerke d.1740 in varied viened marbles with bracketed base, Doric aedicule, and cartouche in a broken pediment, erected 1742; under W impost of arcade, Mary Hutton Lloyd 1861 a refined Neo Classical marble tablet; at SW of chancel William Anthony Michell 1819 by Chantrey in white marble, tablet with portrait roundel in low relief and Greek gable pediment crowned by anthemion. There are stained glass remains of C14 canopy work in 2 N windows of nave. A dated medieval village church on a hilltop site, of exceptional architectural and historical importance. (RCHM (1911) 73-4: VCH (1914) 46-8: Kelly (1914)73-4: Pevsner (1977) 116-17).

Listing NGR: TL3584433857


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 46-8
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 116-17
Salmon, , History of Hertfordshire, (1725)
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 73-4
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16446/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter L. Herring. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].