THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1348423
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:30:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipperfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 04772 01403

Details

CHIPPERFIELD THE COMMON TL 0401 (East side) The Manor House 12/71 (formerly listed as Chipperfield 22.10.52 Manor House with railings and gatepiers) GV II*

Country house. Late medieval hall house, probably early C16 (possibly rebuilt for Thomas Gulston, clerk, before 1591. Mundy(1963)xiii), altered and fronted in brick for John Marriott 1714-16 (agreement with Cock of Watford, bricklayer, HRO no.20251: '1716' on cistern), symmetrical N and S wings added 1911-12 for Samuel Blackwell to the older 7 window front. Red brick with hipped old red tile roofs behind parapets. A late medieval open hall of 2 bays with 2 crosswings flush on ground floor with hall, gabled C17 stair wing and other C17 rear additions of 6 gables refaced c.1912. 2 storeys, 11 windows long W front has panelled parapet, eaves band, string course and flush box sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6 panes (dwg with contract of 1714 shows mullioned windows and no panels in parapet). Central doorway with broad 8-panel raised and fielded door with flat hood on shaped brackets with fluted pilasters and full entablature with swelled frieze. 2 windows wide projecting end wings c.1912 in matching style but with brick cornice over 1st floor windows. Conjoined diagonal shafts to rear wall chimney of RH part. Moulded caps to end chimneys to central part. Interior has evidence of late medieval 2-bays open hall with crown-post roof with plain post and 4-way bracing. S crosswing with heavy plain joists and jetty. N wing largely gutted. Ovolo moulded beam of inserted floor and 4-centred hall fireplace to chimney with diagonal shafts.Large curved braces to floor beam. Present stair c.1714. Panelling with painted coats of arms of Kettell family moved here in 1852 when Robert Blackwell demolished the former Manor House in Kings Langley High Street and trans- ferred it and the name to this house previously a farm known as Pingels- gate. Panelled rooms and wall painting. (Pevsner (1977) 128:RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0477201403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157598
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 128

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/01897/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Tony Briselden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].