This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1348439



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kings Langley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157690

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KINGS LANGLEY LANGLEY HILL TL 00 SE (West side) 7/159 Priory Remains (now part 22.10.52 of The New School) and attached buildings

- II*

Buildings and walls of former Dominican Friary with attached buildings. C14 (Friary founded by Edward II c.1308), C18 extensions to N range, extensions to W range after c.1910 for the former Priory School. Now all in domestic use with a chapel on the 1st floor of W range. W range and wall extending to S of flint with stone dressings. N range of plastered flint with stone dressings to lower floor but timber framed jettied upper floor with white plastered infill panels on N side. Steep old red tile roofs. Red brick C18 rebuilt E front and S extension of N range and 2 timber framed dark weatherboarded extensions with tiled roofs and bell turret at its W end linking to W range. SE extension of W range roughcast with stone mullioned windows and red tile roof. NE extension to W range roughcast with jetty and hipped tiled roof. The c.1910 extensions on S side of N range have a formerly open 3-bay gallery of timber with alpine style cusped vertical boards as balustrade over a timber framed ground floor with 3 cross-windows below a continuously glazed band, with a red brick base and brick panels between windows. An L-shaped group generally of 2 storeys with later buildings linking 2 separate medieval buildings. (1) A long narrow building in the W range formerly called King John's Bakehouse with evidence for early doors or windows on all sides but possibly having a range formerly running eastwards from S end of its E side. A wall divides the building near the middle and the ground floor of the N part is arcaded on the W with 3 large depressed C14 arches with plain splays dying against the sides of buttresses (C20 cusped stone tracery inserted). There is a diagonal buttress at NW corner but a pair of corner buttresses at SW. Since the survey for VCH in 1908 blocked windows have been opened and some matching windows inserted on W 1st floor over the 1st and 2nd arches from the N. These light the chapel with limewashed flint walls and 3-bay crown-post roof with chamfered cambered tie-beams, chamfered cornice along walls, chamfered square crown-posts with heavy curved braces to collar purlin. Same roof continues over S half of building. (2) A long narrow building in N range called The Gatehouse with a large blocked stone archway, continuously moulded, off centre in the masonry of the tall lower storey of the N side. A parallel thick wall is pierced by the doorway between parlour and study in the C18 house formed at the E end of this range. The timber framed 1st floor jettied on bullnosed joists on the N may have also been jettied on the S. Large panelling with curved tension bracing and flush mullioned leaded windows. Interior has arched braces to tie-beams of crown-post roof with braces to collar purlin. C18 house has asymmetrical E front 2 storeys, 2 windows and heavy framed boarded door in middle. Tall 2-light casement windows. Large external gable chimney. Good panelled early C18 rooms on ground floor. Medieval framing exposed inside. Stone quoins at NE angle. The land surrounding the building is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (VCH(1908)238-40: RCHM(1911)134 no.2: Pevsner(1977)217).

Listing NGR: TL0647702700

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 238-40
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 217
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 06477 02700


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348439 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 10:49:54.

End of official listing