CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1348871
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348871.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:18:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clifford
National Grid Reference:
SO 25149 45025

Details

SO 24 NE CLIFFORD CP

2/29 Church of St Mary

26/1/67 GV II*

Parish church. C12, c1300 and C18, restored 1839 and 1888. The 1888 work by Ewan Christian. Sandstone rubble with some tufa, tile roof. Chancel and nave c1300, west tower C18, north aisle, north porch and organ chamber 1888. West tower: 3 stages on battered plinth with 2 plain string courses and a crenellated parapet (added in 1888 ?). C19 west door in ground stage, first stage has lancets, with circular clock recess in west side; second stage: 2 semi-circular-headed windows to each side, each of which is an enlarged oculus. Nave: south wall: 3 windows, the two to the east much restored in late C19, c1300 in style with two 2-centred-headed lights, western window late C19 with 2 trefoiled lights under square head with label, above the segmental headed blocked south door; C19 plain buttresses; wall-plate moulded early C16. North aisle: entirely of 1888 with 2 windows to east of timber north porch of 3- and 2-trefoiled lights under square heads, to east of this gabled organ chamber with Decorated style window of 2 ogee trefoiled lights. Chancel: south wall: 2 restored lancets of c1300. Late C19 buttresses; to west of windows a low, blocked, priest's door with flat lintel; east wall rebuilt C19 with Decorated style window of 3 ogee trefoiled lights under 2-centred head with label; north wall: restored Decorated window of 2 ogee trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. Interior: chancel: C12 recess in north wall with tufa dressings, semi- circular head, probably reset; the splays of the east window in the south wall might be C12; C19, 2-centred arch to organ chamber in north wall; have: 3-bay timber arcade to north aisle, built 1888; division with chancel defined by arch braced tie-beam with tracery in spandrels and close-studding above and by late C19 wooden screen; tower arch C19 with 2-centred head and early C20 wooden partition as infill. Roofs: all early C16, chancel: 4 bays with arch braced collar beams, moulded tie-beams to central and west truss; nave: common rafter roof all couples with arch braced collars; formerly ceiled, 2 moulded tie-beams and moulded wall-plate. Fittings: font has probably C14 octagonal bowl on C19 stem. Late C13 wooden effigy of recumbent priest in the recess in chancel. Two neo-classical wall monuments in chancel with weeping maidens over inscription panel: Thomas Stallard Penoyre, died 1821, by Reeves & Son of Bath, and Francis Rigby Broadbelt Stallard Penoyre, died 1827, by Bacon of London. (RCHM 1, p 38; BoE pp 101/102).

Listing NGR: SO2514945025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153650
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 38
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 101-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/12827/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Ann Vint. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].