CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349003
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349003.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 14:32:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Withington
National Grid Reference:
SO 56574 43486

Details

SO 54 SE WITHINGTON CP WITHINGTON

7/206 Church of St Peter

- 26.1.67 GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins, remodelled and added to in C13 and C14, restored 1858. Sandstone rubble, slate roof. Four-bay nave and two- bay chancel under continuous roof, late C13 or early C14 ashlar built west tower and spire, north organ chamber dated 1899, late C19 south porch. West tower: three stages with no dividing string courses, large off-sets to base, diagonal buttresses to north-west and south-west, stair turret on south side next to south-east buttress, two water spouts to each face break through string course below plain parapet; recessed ashlar built ribbed spire with lucarnes near the top and trefoiled 2-centred openings to its base; west window is a hooded lancet; the first storey has north and south trefoil-headed lancets. Nave: blocked north doorway under C12 semi-circular arch head and jambs with heavy roll mouldings similar to south doorway. C15 north-west window of two trefoil headed lights under square head. Main south window has three lights with cinque- foil heads, probably C19. East window of north wall is C13 lancet, to the west of it is a C14 2-light ogee-headed window. Chancel: C19 3-light east window and two restored lancets on south wall. Interior: nave has unceiled late C19 wagon roof with scissor bracing above, chancel is ceiled. Liturgical division marked by large moulded arched truss, crossing the chancel screen, which in part may be C15 but appears heavily restored. Tower arch is 2-centred with three orders of chamfered mouldings under a label terminating in corbel heads. Screen, perhaps part of a C15 rood loft, but restored, has crested beam above eight open panels with ogee traceried heads. C13 trefoil-headed piscina in south wall of nave has foiled drain; to its west is a contemporary recess under a 2-centred arch. Communion table is C17 with balustered legs, three contemporary chairs. Late C19 font has six marble shafts with stiff-leaf capitals supporting sexfoil shaped bowl. Plaque: in north wall of chancel to William Saxeye, chief justice of Munster, died 1612: E HERE LYETH Y BODYE OF WILLIAM SAXEYE ESQVIER IVSTICE OF PEACE & CORAM IN THIS COVNTY OF HERIFORD HE WAS CHEEFE IVSTICE OF YE PROVINCE OF MVNSTER IN IRLAND FOR YE SPACE OF XV OR XVI YEARES HE WAS BORNE AT BRISTOLL AND DIED AT LITTLE THINGILL THE VII th OF FEBRVARY IN THE YERE OF OVR LORD GOD 1612

(RCHM, Vol II, p 216).

Listing NGR: SO5657443486

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154170
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 216

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10883/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Earle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].