CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349234
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349234.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:20:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Eldersfield
National Grid Reference:
SO 79988 31172

Details

ELDERSFIELD CP - SO 73 SE 6/47 Church of St John Baptist 25.3.68 GV II*

Church. C14 with C12 and late C13 remains. Restored 1876. Rubble with roofs of stone slate and tile. Comprises a west tower with stone spire, a nave with north aisle and clerestorey, a south transeptal chapel, and a lower chancel. The tower is of three stages with diagonal buttresses and has a ribbed spire set back behind an embattled parapet. The bell openings are each of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a pointed head. The middle stage has, on each side, a central trefoiled niche flanked by blank quatrefoils and by slit openings. The west window is of three tre- foiled lights with Perpendicular tracery under a pointed head. The pointed west doorway with gabled hood was inserted in 1839. In the south wall of the nave are two pointed one-light windows restored in the C19. Above the porch to the right is a window of two trefoiled lights. The present porch is dated 1925 and timber-framed. To the left of the C19 inner doorway are the jambs and part of an arch of a C12 doorway, with zig-zag ornament. The south chapel has diagonal buttresses and a gable of shallow pitch. Its south window is of four trefoiled lights under a pointed head with C19 tracery. Its east window is of three trefoiled lights with early C15 tracery. The north aisle has two C19 windows with two buttresses between them. Both windows are of two trefoiled lights under a flat head. The three clerestorey windows are similar. On the south side of the chancel are two chamfered lancet windows. On the north side are two windows restored in the C19. The eastern one is of two pointed lights under a pointed head. The east window is early is C14 and of two trefoiled lights under a pointed head. Interior: tall pointed tower arch is chamfered in two orders. Arcade of four bays has pointed arches chamfered in two orders springing from piers of quatrefoil plan. The nave roof is C19 and has trusses with curved braces to collars and V-struts above. The chancel arch is round, with an outer billet moulding and with angle shafts which have scalloped capitals and abaci with carved decoration. The font is C15 but re-tooled and is octagonal with a shield of arms carved on each face. The south windows contain some re-set C17 shields of arms.

Listing NGR: SO7998831172

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153188
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07584/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Sabey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].